Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fellow Texas beekeepers.  (Read 6412 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Fellow Texas beekeepers.
« on: July 01, 2005, 11:35:02 am »
For those of us that do not know any better I did some checking. Here is what Bill Baxter had to say over the phone.

Bill Baxter
Assistant Foulbrood Inspector
Department of Entomology
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843-2745
Ph: 979.845.9721

If you have under twelve hives you do not have to register with these guys. BUT!!!! If you wish to collect feral colonies, you must first register with these guys, and then with the pest control board. After that you may remove colonies from anyplace except where people live or occupied structures.

YOU CAN NOT CHARGE A FEE FOR REMOVING BEES AT ALL.

You may not use any chemicals or electrical devises. That includes beevacs. NO BEEVACS ALLOWED. Just smoke, hive tool, brush.

If you go get a pest control license then ofcourse you can do it all.

Now if you can get with a pest control company and make arrangements with them, you could work under their license as an employee and be able to remove from occupied structures and use what ever.

Swams you can do. Any place at any time. In anyway. (That is my take on it. You might want to double check.)

Now if you make arrangements with someone to remove their bees and nothing is said, then you are OK.

Here is the reasoning   :roll:  The pest control guys spent all that time and money to learn and take the test for the pest control license, so they want to protect their interest. And all this time I thought the license was for spraying pesticides.

Here is where you find the contacts;

http://honeybee.tamu.edu/regulatory/contacts.html

If you click on the blue highlighted names you can send email. I included my phone number yesterday and Bill Baxter called me back this morning.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Barny

• House Bee
Fellow Texas beekeepers.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 01:53:46 pm »
Ah, but you can charge for GAS and other expenses incurred.  

What about a private applicators liscence?  I have one of those and because I am not making any money off my bees (yet) I would not consider myself commercial.

Plus I don't think they really know what to do with all the rules and regulations, especially with the AHB quarantine being lifted.
http://agnews.tamu.edu/dailynews/stories/ENTO/Jun2205a.htm

Also I won't tell that I am using a beevac if you guys wont tell :wink:

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
Fellow Texas beekeepers.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 02:16:41 pm »
BAHAHAHAHAHA.... you texans..... still got to be an OUTLAW!!!

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Fellow Texas beekeepers.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 03:01:32 pm »
Outlaw  :shock:  Me?

As there are only three in the Department of Entomology, and he said they don't get out to check the hives, although they have the power to do so, I guess we are really on our own out here   :wink:  Don't know how we can do it with out government intervention, but we shall try.

About the only ones you got to worry about is those pesky pest control guys.

private applicators liscence. I went through the ag's course but never applied for the license. But you can only apply herbicide, pesticide, on the land that you own/lease. No one elses. Is that the one you are talking about?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline Barny

• House Bee
Fellow Texas beekeepers.
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 06:31:35 pm »
I obtained my private applicators liscence throught a class at Tech.  It didn't state that it had to be MY land, just that it was not to be used commercially.  For instance if my buddy needed something applied to his/her lawn, tree, insect nest or hive, I would be able to do so as long as I followed the label.

I wonder why we are not allowed to use electrical things either.  It seems very strange to me.

Offline Bee Rancher

• New Bee
Please check past posts from me.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2005, 02:48:48 pm »
I have written a small bit on this before.  I think it was last year.  According to the pest control board of Texas' legal representitive, you can remove bees and charge as long as it is not from a dwelling.  Now TAMU may see it differently but the Apiary inspector whom I have had an hr discussion with states that there are  a couple of Pest Guys who make it there GOD given job to get BEEKEEPERS fined.  And I believe it is up to 10,000 dollars or a cease and disiss?? order.  I also told him that I would pay for the bees(1 dollar)  and I would be within limits.  He then stated that a beekeeper could register with them and challenge their test.  If passed you could then spray any chemical that is on their list.  I was not friendly. to say the least.  I did state that I did not need another state test attmpt since I have taken 9 all together.  He stated that way I could charge.  I then explained that I wanted the bees, not to shaft folks for helping me.   After more questions he stated all I had to do was register with them, I asked to do that.  He then stated that they did not have the list available yet to register.  I had all of their bylaws in front of me.  All 33 pages.  I quoted and quoted them along with the exemption for US listed inside the same.  He knew I was not happy.  I told him I could care less about grasshoppers and termites, that I would call a PRO.  I asked what the quals where for time as a beekeeper to sit their test.  He stated that there as no yr qualification just a case by case basis????  Whatever dude>> Thanx for your very confusing time and that I would just pay folks a dollar for the sell of a swarm of 3lbs of bees that they sold me not that I removed.  He asked why I would do that.  i asked him if he had ordered bees lately.  60 dollars with shipping versus 1 dollar and I pick and pull>>>> Ha Ha Ha

Thanx for the ramble time,  Hank

PS please check for any passed replies from last year that Betth and I discussed.

HEY Beth!!
"Remember the Brotherhood"
9-11-01

Offline Barny

• House Bee
Fellow Texas beekeepers.
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2005, 02:56:07 pm »
Like I said earlier, I don't think anybody here in Texas really knows what is going on legally.  I hear lots of conflicting things.  I think as long as I pay my taxes, then big brother should leave me alone (for the most part).

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Fellow Texas beekeepers.
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2005, 03:51:15 pm »
Bill Baxter was gonna send me some stuff, one of them is the pest control board contact. I'll let you know what I find out then. If what I saw/heard last weekend is any example of what the pest control people do, I think they do more harm than good. First they applied something TWICE and didn't get it in the nest. They expected it to kill all the bees. Then they didn't make any attempt to get the stuff out of the wall, nor did they advise the home owner that they should get the stuff out. I understand this could make problems in the future.

Offline stilllearning

• House Bee
Fellow Texas beekeepers.
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2005, 05:22:07 pm »
Ok guys you should all go to this link and read it, it is from our state
bee inspector, it is very clear and all of us that collect feral hives including myself are breaking somebodys law, unless we are working under the
direction of a licensed pest guy.  My local guy calls me to get the bees
for him before he tries to spray because 99% of the time they get
numerous call backs because the removal we do is much more effective and less dangerous than spraying.    honeybee.tamu.edu/regulatory/ newsletter/pdf/bee_aware3_jun05.pdf  :?
Wayne Cole

Offline stilllearning

• House Bee
Fellow Texas beekeepers.
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2005, 07:23:09 pm »
:oops: Like I say, I am still learning, the above link is wrong try this one.
http://honeybee.tamu.edu/regulatory/newsletter/pdf/bee_aware3_jun05.pdf
Wayne Cole

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Fellow Texas beekeepers.
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2005, 09:08:33 pm »
That is what I read and then sent an email to Paul Jackson. Then I got the return call from Bill Baxter. And I posted that earlier. Yes it contradicts what the article says. I think the law/rule/statute is so vague no one really knows what it means. Want more try this;

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/ag.toc.htm

Scroll down to;
TITLE 6. PRODUCTION, PROCESSING, AND SALE OF ANIMAL PRODUCTS

Click on;
CHAPTER 131. BEES AND HONEY

And you get all this.

SECTION 131.001. DEFINITIONS
SECTION 131.002. CHIEF APIARY INSPECTOR
SECTION 131.003. CONFLICTS OF INTEREST
SECTION 131.004. ASSISTANTS
SECTION 131.005. ANNUAL REPORTS
SECTION 131.006. AUDIT
SECTION 131.007. PUBLISHING INFORMATION
SECTION 131.008. COMPLAINTS
SECTION 131.009. PUBLIC TESTIMONY
SECTION 131.010. FEES
SECTION 131.021. POWERS AND DUTIES OF CHIEF APIARY INSPECTOR
SECTION 131.022. QUARANTINES
SECTION 131.023. SALE OF QUEEN BEE AND ATTENDANTS, PACKAGE BEES, AND NUCLEI
SECTION 131.024. SEIZURE OF BEES, EQUIPMENT, POLLEN, OR HONEY
SECTION 131.025. DUTY TO REPORT DISEASED BEES
SECTION 131.041. PERMIT FOR IMPORTATION
SECTION 131.042. PERMIT FOR EXPORTATION
SECTION 131.043. PERMITS FOR INTRASTATE SHIPMENT
SECTION 131.044. CERTIFICATE OF INSPECTION
SECTION 131.045. APIARY REGISTRATION
SECTION 131.046. DISPOSITION AND USE OF FEES
SECTION 131.061. IDENTIFICATION REQUIRED
SECTION 131.062. BRAND; REGISTRATION
SECTION 131.063. REGISTRATION OF BRAND; FEE
SECTION 131.064. AFFIXING BRAND TO EQUIPMENT
SECTION 131.065. TRANSFER OF BRAND
SECTION 131.081. USE OF "HONEY" ON LABEL
SECTION 131.082. USE OF BEE, HIVE, OR COMB DESIGN
SECTION 131.083. SALE OF IMITATION HONEY
SECTION 131.084. SALE OF HONEY MIXTURES
SECTION 131.101. ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITY
SECTION 131.102. ENTRY POWER
SECTION 131.103. STOP-SALE ORDER
SECTION 131.104. CIVIL ACTIONS
SECTION 131.105. VENUE FOR CIVIL AND CRIMINAL ACTIONS
SECTION 131.121. DISEASE CONTROL
SECTION 131.122. APIARY EQUIPMENT BRANDS
SECTION 131.123. LABELING OR SALE OF HONEY
   CHAPTER 131 (PDF)    CHAPTER 131 (Microsoft Word)
CHAPTER 132. EGGS

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Fellow Texas beekeepers.
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2005, 09:09:35 pm »
It'a so much easier when the government isn't involved.

Offline Bee Rancher

• New Bee
Dr Jackson
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2005, 10:49:02 pm »
I believe Dr. Jackson is the one I had over an hr discussion with about who was spending time messing with us.

Thanx,
Hank
"Remember the Brotherhood"
9-11-01

Offline firetool

• House Bee
Fellow Texas beekeepers.
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2005, 10:22:50 am »
thanks for the information Jerry we shure needed to know this stuff.

Brian

anything