Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: extractor lubrication  (Read 3036 times)

Offline twb

• House Bee
extractor lubrication
« on: June 21, 2008, 08:30:39 pm »
Do you get food grade lube?  Then do you need a food grade lube gun to apply it?  What all needs to be greased?  I have a Dadant 6 frame motorized that I purchased used.
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: extractor lubrication
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 08:59:03 pm »
Do you get food grade lube?  Then do you need a food grade lube gun to apply it?  What all needs to be greased?  I have a Dadant 6 frame motorized that I purchased used.

A little FGMO (Food Grade Mineral Oil) will work for lubracating your extractor.  There is a food grade grease available, I forget thebrand  name, check with restuarant/bakery supply houses.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 09:31:32 pm »
Rossman Apiaries
Food Grade Lubricant @ $7.00 Tube

Offline twb

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 10:36:45 pm »
Yup, I actually bought some grease in a tube thinking I could use a caulking gun to apply it.  Oops, I see now that I need a grease gun of coarse.  But the grease guns I saw this week at the big box store have their own lube on them to make the lever work properly so I wondered if there are food grade grease guns available for this application.  Could I get by without a grease gun altogether?

And, what do you actually grease on the extractor?
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline heaflaw

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 02:25:16 am »
It seems like a waste of money to buy a grease gun for the food grade grease when you will probably only use it once every year of two.  Is there a better way?

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 08:12:52 am »
Steps to use if you dont have a grease gun

1- Open end of grease tube {normally there is a plastic end that will come off and go back on when you are done)
2- Place finger in grease and rub on extractors gears or other friction spots.
3- Put plastic cap back on grease tube.

The only reason you would need a grease gun would be if you have grease fittings on your equipment

The grease gun pumps grease through the fitting so if you dont have fittings all the gun will do for you is dispense grease. You can do the same thing with your finger.
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline Pi

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 01:43:46 pm »
Just get some Crisco or veg oil.  It's food grade of course, and it'll get you through unless you have a large operation.
Works for me and my one day per year use.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 11:22:48 pm »
I use crisco.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline greg spike

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 01:32:24 pm »
Vegetable oils can go rancid and add off aromas, nothing wrong with it if used sparingly, and cleaned often. When I was a brewer, i used vasiline to lube seals and mecanicals. It's safe, but not rated for consumption.(Don't make biscuts out of it)
Non-scented baby oil can be a good subsitute for food grade mineral oil very good for sharpening knives, again, safe but not food grade.
Remember to use even food grade stuff sparingly, even fgmo will give some the trotts if too much is consumed.