Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Help Requeening  (Read 6329 times)

Offline Tom A

• New Bee
Help Requeening
« on: June 05, 2012, 08:17:55 pm »
This is my first time trying to post.  I am a one year beekeeper from North GA. with one hive.  I have discovered something has happened to my queen.  I have plenty of bees but no brood.  My honey super has less than 2 frames of honey.  I ordered a new queen that was shipped today from South GA, so I think she should arrive tomorrow or the next day.  I have read several books on re queening but still would like more advice.  The books don't answer all my questions, for instance:  one author said I should take the caged queen to my pickup and release the attendant bees.  But they don't say what to do if the queen gets out in the truck.  How do you get her back in the cage?  Any other advice for a newby would really be appreciated.  Thanks, Tom

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Help Requeening
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 08:49:02 pm »
Another GA boy, welcome to the forum.    With your queen.   Pop the cork out of the candy end of the queen cage.  You can stick a nail through the candy to make a very small hole if you want, but I have not done that in the longest.   Then place the whole queen cage with attendants in the brood area, screen side out to the open and where they can get to the candy.   They will release her.   Check to see if she is out in a few days. 

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 09:31:28 pm »
Agree on the above statement. Did your hive swarm and that is why you have no queen? Perhaps they have raised a new queen in preparation for the swarm and she just is not laying yet? If this is the case,they  may kill your new queen.

Offline Tom A

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 09:54:29 pm »
I'm planning on looking at all frames tomorrow and seeing if I can find a queen.  I plan on detroying her if I find her.  Also will detroy any queen cells.  Is that what you would do?  So you guys don't worry about the attendants?

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 10:32:32 pm »
When you go to install the queen cage you can lay it on the landing board for a few mins to see if the hive is going to attack the new queen or not.  The attendants are there to help the queen, they will come out when the queen does. Good luck with your bees.

Joe

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 12:11:45 am »
I would not worry about the attendants.

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 12:23:18 pm »
In my experience the attendants are usually killed anyways, so I don't worry about them. Just be very sure the hive is queen-less before you try to install a new queen. I make sure the hive is queen-less for a minimum of 12 hours before I install the new queen. I used to punch the candy with a nail, but now no longer bother with that.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 09:42:23 am »
I think it was Palmer that I saw a video of releasing the attendants from the queen cage. He sits in his truck with the windows up and lets the attendants out. That way if the queen escaped, she is at least still in your vehicle and not flying off to the lower 40. I release all the attendants on a new queen introduction-not sure if its necessary or not though.

Offline Tom A

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 05:38:46 pm »
Thanks for all the advice.  Well I did it this morning.  I searched through all the frames and could not find the queen.  Plus I have less than two frames of honey and no brood.  So I have concluded the old queen is gone.  I put the new queen caged with attendants in the middle of my bottom hive body.  Now I will just wait three days and go back in and see if she is still alive and maybe I will see some brood.

Offline Tom A

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 11:23:13 pm »
Hi Guys,
  I just saw a picture on line of a queen cage installed between two frames.  I think I made a mistake.  I put the screen against the frame rather than facing out.  Is this a big mistake?  Do I need to go in tomorrow and make it right? :?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 08:23:16 am by Tom A »

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 11:33:50 am »
Hi Guys,
  I just saw a picture on line of a queen cage installed between two frames.  I think I made a mistake.  I put the screen against the frame rather than facing out.  Is this a big mistake?  Do I need to go in tomorrow and make it right? :?

Big mistake. Rectify immediately. Your queen may already be dead. Also make sure the candy is located to the top as this will enable her to get out.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 09:57:50 pm »
The little band saw kerfs (look like slits) that run along the sides of the cage (assuming you have a wooden cage) are meant so that you really can't screw up too much. The bees can still feed her through the slit. Move it if you feel it's needed, but for the most part she'll be ok.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

anything