Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Inner cover notch  (Read 13323 times)

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
Inner cover notch
« on: March 13, 2010, 02:13:32 pm »
Hello everyone,

Ya know, I've read a ton about beekeeping for a few years before I made my decision to give it a try, and up and until I ordered my bees last week I felt pretty confident.

But now...I'm in a bit of a panic!  So please forgive me for all the questions I've been posting.

I know from what I've read, and who I've helped before my inner cover is supposed to have a ventilation notch...

Mine does not.  I assembled everything per instructions, but the inner cover is missing that notch.

Is this common?  Is this something I need to modify?

Thanks!
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

"It teaches us that, as we come into the world rational and intelligent beings, so we should ever be industrious ones; never sitting down contented while our fellow-creatures around us are in want, when it is in our power to relieve them without inconvenience to ourselves." - Freemasonry on the Beehive

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Re: Inner cover notch
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 02:26:05 pm »
Is this common?  Is this something I need to modify?

No problem.  You can modify it if you want.  I have yet to own one with it.  I always crack my lids open anyway so it makes no difference to me one way or the other.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 02:36:47 pm »
Good point, didn't even think of that
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

"It teaches us that, as we come into the world rational and intelligent beings, so we should ever be industrious ones; never sitting down contented while our fellow-creatures around us are in want, when it is in our power to relieve them without inconvenience to ourselves." - Freemasonry on the Beehive

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 03:03:59 pm »
I have some both ways. The ones with the notch are nice. you face the notch down and to the front.Put your outer telescoping cover on and slide forward as far as you can and it leaves a protected vent and upper entrance. Slide the outer cover back and it closes it nicely.
As bassman said,the others you can just lift a little with a small stick between inner and outer covers for ventilation. I often have to do this in addition to the notch in the dead heat of summer.

Offline Ollie

• House Bee
    • www.olliesrockwall.com
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 03:08:37 pm »
Mine didn't come with the notch either, I make a notch on all my inner covers, 1/2 inch wide by 3/8 deep , essentially the height of the piece of wood that goes around.
It helps with ventilation and provides an alternative way for bees to get in or out should the bottom get blocked (dead bees in the winter)
In the summer the notch is down, in winter the notch is up.
Life is good...Make it gooder!

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 06:14:38 pm »
In the summer the notch is down, in winter the notch is up.

Here's another one of those cases where personal preferences come into play.  Generally, I keep mine propped open all year round.  If I had one already notched, I would keep the notch down year round also.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 01:33:11 am »
Two partial cuts with a saw and a pocketknife or chisel to break it out will make easy work of making a notch.  I coud do the whole thing with just my leatherman...

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 09:59:18 am »
A router or dremel tool works wonders!

I have made inner covers with and without vents, preferring to add a little spacer in the back between the hive body and inner cover to raise the cover up a bit.
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 06:05:38 pm »
Oh,and the notch is not gonna make or break your new colony.I would be more concerned with feeding,keeping appropriate entrance size and learning. And also having fun with your new hobby.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 11:38:49 pm »
It will matter more next winter...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BULLSEYE BILL

• House Bee
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 01:23:19 am »
When I don't make my own, I buy my inners and outers  from Drapers in Ia.  Their inners have a notch on either end and the outers have a corresponding notch in either end of them as well.  I usually leave the notch up year round and I also prop one end of the cover on top of the end of the inner during the summer for added air flow, but be sure to add a heavy block to keep the lid on.

Their lids are made so you can add a sheet of insulation between the galvanized cover and the wood if you like.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 06:55:51 pm »
The ones with the notch are nice. you face the notch down and to the front.Put your outer telescoping cover on and slide forward as far as you can and it leaves a protected vent and upper entrance.

I do that as well, but on more than on occasion I've had a spider hiding off to the side of that upper entrance reaching out and grabbing a fresh meal when it pleased. 
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 12:28:28 pm »
Spider's got a hive tool coming at him in the near future if it were my hive! 
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.