Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Very Dark Honey  (Read 1943 times)

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
Very Dark Honey
« on: August 06, 2007, 11:53:46 am »
I jarred up a lot of honey this weekend with about 20 # more to go...Mann Lake sent me the wrong size jars so I am awaiting the UPS delivery...maybe today...

At any rate...the honey my little hive gave is extremely dark...very smooth tasting...As best I can tell,the bees dined on Australian Bottle Brush, Lavender, Blackberries, Squash, Dahlias, California Poppies, Sage & Oregano, and various local wildflowers...

What a trip!

So interesting...

Peace

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Very Dark Honey
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 12:00:42 pm »
Sharon, yeah!!!!  Isn't it wonderful to harvest the honey, I can't wait for that day, in another month or so.  When we extracted our honey last year I was in a little bit of heaven. I am very sensitive to aromas, and harvesting honey, with all the beautiful and varied fragrances was one of the most fulfilling experiences of my life.

I have not yet bottled all my honey from last year.  I keep the honey (which is still liquid) in glass gallon jars.  I also have a big pail with a gate on it full of honey, which when I need a few bottles, I just open the gate and the honey flows.  The moment that gate is opened, the aroma takes me right back to the very time when we were extracting the honey.  It is like taking a little walk into the depths of the most beautiful experience of my life, the aroma of the hive and its product.  When I think of my bees and the joy that they bring to my life, it makes me want to be even closer to them.  I thank my lucky stars that I can keep these creatures of beauty on my property, just a minute or two away, anytime that I chose to go to their home.  Yeah, lovin' the world of bees, gardens, family and dogs!!!  Have a wonderful day, a beautiful life to along with it, and love this life we're livin'.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 03:54:08 pm »
Too right Cindi...indeed...

Offline Bee1

• House Bee
  • 1st & only hive installed Friday April 13th, 2007
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 05:20:36 pm »
DayValley - Cool that you are getting some honey.  I love dark honey and would usually go for the jar of buckwheat from the road side stand.  Haven't  had any of my own honey yet and doesn't look like i well get any out of the hive this year  :(.   

Hopefully next year..

ciao
Bee1 with all Stings of the Universe.

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 11:29:46 pm »
This 60# of honey was an unexpected surprise...We had no idea this would happen...and there is plenty for the bees as well...truley a gift!  An amazing gift...'tis glorious...yes I say :lol:

anything