Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: One day, two cutouts  (Read 2958 times)

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
One day, two cutouts
« on: July 07, 2008, 08:21:57 pm »
What a day. I had a scheduled cutout for 8 am (had to take a day off from work to do it...they probably think I was on an interview, ha!), and while I was there, the call came in to do another. I figured, since I had already taken the day off, I may as well make it totally productive. I'm not sure I'll ever do that again, though...just too much work. The jobs were pretty easy, although in the first one, I had to remove a cabinet to get at the hive. That was an experience...I'll never show up to another removal without a screwdriver bit for my drill.

Cutout 1, Red Bank, NJ:

Cutout 2, Staten Island, NY:

"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: One day, two cutouts
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 10:28:54 pm »
Nice Job how about some details, did you get the queens?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 08:25:24 am »
yes very nice.  Its hard to make sure you have all the tools you think you will need when showing up to do a cutout.  I dont have a carpenters van/truck.  Its a bee truck.  So I always go out and bring them a contract and do an estimate prior to actual removal.  This way I can get an excellent idea of the tools I need to bring with me.  So far I have only forgotten 1 thing and luckily my wife was willing to bring it to me. :-D
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 08:42:43 am »
Nice Job how about some details, did you get the queens?

...JP

I never saw the queens, but both hives had a great brood pattern, so I hope so.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 11:35:38 am »
and its been ghastly hot. I turned two down b/c they wouldn't wait until weather broke. I have a nice day job, no need to have a heat stroke.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 01:16:48 pm »
and its been ghastly hot. I turned two down b/c they wouldn't wait until weather broke. I have a nice day job, no need to have a heat stroke.

I did one the other day and it was so hot the queen grew stressed and died right in my hand, I had had her in a queen cage with attendants in a cool place but she bought it anyway.

For those using beevacs, when the temps get up, give them even more room in the inner cages as they are more prone to overheat, and keep a water bottle handy to mist them.

Oh and don't forget the florida water guys and gals, its a life saver!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 08:02:29 pm »

Pass them my way, man! I don't care about the heat...as long as they can wait until the weekend!