Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: how long should I wait for the bees to cap this?  (Read 1320 times)

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
how long should I wait for the bees to cap this?
« on: August 22, 2009, 08:27:19 pm »
I have 3 supers that have been full for awhile.  The bees have started capping, but still have quite a way to go.  I am concerned about waiting too long to pull these.  I was hoping to pull them before the goldenrod flow, but that has already started.  I am not concerned about pulling goldenrod honey, except for the fact that I wanted to leave them with ample stores for winter. 

If it takes them too long to finish them, I have no problem leaving this honey for the bees.  I just don't want to wait too long and then affect their winter stores.  How late in the year is too late?
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
Re: how long should I wait for the bees to cap this?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 08:34:29 pm »
I am kind of in the same boat. I have two supers on my hive. Bottom one is pretty much filled but not capped. They have barely started drawing out the upper one. The goldenrod is just starting to bloom here, too. I wonder if I should switch the two supers around? Anybody with thoughts on this?

I wouldn't pull those supers yet, I think that you'll have plenty of time to get winter stores. Goldenrod blooms for quite a while. Plus, the asters haven't started yet.  :-D

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
Re: how long should I wait for the bees to cap this?
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 09:15:22 pm »
Joker...
Sometimes I pull off honey the end of October.
Just wait to pull it and when you do, just leave a box for the girls

Gardening Fireman...
Sure, switch the supers. They'll start capping the top as the goldenrod starts flowing and build down as they get the top capped. After the flow, the top should be capped and the next one down might be... I'm not familiar with Goldenrod as we don't have it here where I'm at so I don't know it's flow strength and longevity.

anything