Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Transferring Bees  (Read 1119 times)

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
Transferring Bees
« on: March 12, 2014, 10:32:51 am »
So I have a question about transferring bees in the cold. We still have snow on the ground but old man winteris loosening his grip!  We are supposed to have temps close to 50 tomorrow.  I have a nuc that nearly fills the box.  They don't seem to occupy the outer parts of the first and fifth combs.  They aren't exploding out of the box so I don't need to do this right now, but on the other hand I have partial combs of honey.  It would be nice to get them some extra food.  So what do you think?  Has anybody's transferred bees out of a nuc and at what temp?
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline Wolfer

• House Bee
Re: Transferring Bees
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 12:50:25 pm »
I would leave them where they are until it's warmer and the box is full. Once it's warm enough to feed thin syrup they'll probaly need it. Shortly after that they need more room.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 05:32:26 pm »
I would either, make the first and fifth  the second and fourth, or I would add a nuc super. They will build a double deep nuc faster than a 10 frame deep.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 06:48:41 pm »
I am painting my new poly nucs.  So I think I'll transfer it into one of those a little later then super another 5 frame nuc. 
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 07:26:45 am »
You're in MN.  Leave them alone until it's nice out.  They have probably got some brood going and a bigger box will make it harder for them to keep it warm, even if you transfer them on a warm day...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin