Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Self-polinating plants  (Read 3105 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Self-polinating plants
« on: February 19, 2009, 12:35:07 pm »
I was looking at placing my orders for this year and wanted to plant some apple trees and some more raspberry plants. I started looking at the order and saw all the plants said "self-polinating." If they self polinate do they offer anything for the bees? If not, where do I find some plants and trees that are not mutated?

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
Re: Self-polinating plants
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 01:00:28 pm »
Self Pollinate means you don't need another variety of the plant to bloom at the same time and pollinate the plant. Most apples actually can't pollinate themselves, that is  use their own pollen to produce fruit. They still require pollination by bees, but don't need another variety of the plant.

If you have the room though go ahead and get more varieties anyhow. They all ripen and bloom at slightly different times and you may get a longer harvest.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 01:18:34 pm »
Thanks for the info. Im going to start ordering my stuff.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 02:19:49 pm »
Also, unless you are planting a 1/2 acre or more, the amount of pollen and nectar from a few raspberries or apple trees is negligable compared to what the bees actually need.

I have some cherry and apple trees that I have lots of bees on in the spring, but the bees would thrive just as well without them. 

Rick
Rick

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 02:29:24 pm »
I know there is no way I could plant enough plants or trees living in town but I thought I sure could help out.

anything