Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: You know you have a strong hive when . . .  (Read 3296 times)

Offline c10250

• House Bee
You know you have a strong hive when . . .
« on: May 10, 2012, 09:34:09 pm »
. . . the bees coming and going look like snow falling. Too numerous to count the number coming and going per minute.  These bees are not orienting, they are backing up trying to get into the hive.

Hive Activity.mpg

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
Re: You know you have a strong hive when . . .
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 09:37:01 pm »
Yes, I would say that you have a strong hive ! I wish my hives were like that one. Larry

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 09:42:51 pm »
Gotta love it.   Springtime.

Offline c10250

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 11:24:46 pm »
The video was taken when it was 60 degrees out.  This hive has even more activity when it's 80! The angle of the sun was wrong in the afternoon, so I took the video early.  I actually heard a "roar" this afternoon and thought it was a swarm.  It was just the activity outside the hive.  Even more than what you see here . . . .crazy.

I checkerboarded that hive a few months ago. . .. hopefully it doesn't swarm.  

2nd year queen.  The hive came through the winter booming.  MAQS in August.

Black Locust just started to pop here.  Maybe I can get a super or two of black locust honey.

Last friday, the hive put on 9 lbs in a day.  PLEASE DON'T SWARM!!!!

You know I always think about people who hive packages and say they're gentle as can be . . . I think part of the reason is that there are very few bees in a package.  I'm not saying this hive is hot, because it's definitely not, but hives this size can sometimes be a little more difficult to work with.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:40:03 pm by c10250 »

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 11:30:10 pm »
Wow--9 lb in 1 day?!? I can only dream. Mine sound like yours for number, but I need to get in asap to add in more bars, and the schedule is jam packed. Our blackberries are just starting to bloom here...
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline c10250

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 11:35:51 pm »
Wow--9 lb in 1 day?!? I can only dream. Mine sound like yours for number, but I need to get in asap to add in more bars, and the schedule is jam packed. Our blackberries are just starting to bloom here...

Better give them room soon. . . . things are starting to pop.  we're supposed to get several days in the 70s coming up.  You can easily fill a super in a week . . . possibly two.

Offline carlfaba10t

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 11:52:04 pm »
Makes me want to go south.cool and windy here for the past 3-4 days.Weird weather all over from what i have heard. My bees are real active when it hits 70 or better.At this time the fruit tree bloom is all but over and most bees are kicked back in the hive[just guessing] because i dont see much activity around hives. Oh nice video c10250.
Carl-I have done so much with so little for so long i can now do something with nothing!

Offline c10250

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 12:04:55 am »
I've had a hive on a scale for a couple of years now.  I believe that bees don't go out to forage unless they can keep the hive at a particular temperature.  If it takes 10,000 bees to keep the hive at temperature, andif you have 10,000 bees, you'll get no foragers, however, if you have 30,000 bees, you'll get a lot more foragers.  A weak hive will have very little bees foraging when it's, say 60 degrees.  A strong hive, like in the video, has thousands foraging when it's 60.

Offline ranger774

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 10:46:47 am »
Never really thought about it, but your temperature comment makes a lot of sense.  Never know what you will find on here!!! :)

Offline czman11

• House Bee
  • Mmmmm honney
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 10:56:44 am »
That is just beautiful. Good for you. I wish mine were so busy.
" It ain't over 'til it's over "........ Yogi Berra

Offline c10250

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 12:17:26 am »
that hive put on 14 lbs today!

Offline Algonam

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 05:28:44 pm »
One of my hives is as strong as the one in the video and the other hives isn't far hehind. I just switched the reducer from the smallest opening to the 4" wide medium opening.
Now I am wondering, at what point do I open it right up with no restrictions?
Our nights are still cool. We had frost yesterday morning with less of a risk of frost forecasted this week. Nice warm week ahead with highs in mid 20's (78F).

I still have insulation under the lid for those cold nights.

Any suggestions on the entrance size?

Oh Canada!

Offline c10250

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 10:39:42 pm »
Are they backing up trying to get in??  If I were you, I'd leave the insulation on and remove the reducer totally.