Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Opening for the winter  (Read 3628 times)

Offline Ocean

• House Bee
Opening for the winter
« on: October 25, 2005, 01:59:02 pm »
Lately our days getting colder and colder, and iam thinking i should reduce the entrace. Should i make it the smallest possible? with the entrance reducer? which is about an inch? and is that good for them for the winter?

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: Opening for the winter
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 02:39:17 pm »
Quote from: Ocean
Should i make it the smallest possible? with the entrance reducer? which is about an inch? and is that good for them for the winter?

I Live in Finland and we are waiting just now first snow storm.

I keep at winter  4 inch wide entrance and at end of reducer there are  narrow gaps 5 mm wide for water.

And the finger size middle entrance is essential. It middle entrance is not open bees will get nosema.

Wide opening is importart because died bees will close the opening.

Bottom must slant forward so condensation water rund away from bottomboard.

Offline Ocean

• House Bee
Opening for the winter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 04:27:29 pm »
what do you mean by the middle? the opening has to be in the middle? it can't be on the side? because my opening right now is on the left side of both hives and its about 4-5 inches

Offline imabkpr

• House Bee
Opening for the winter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 08:28:44 pm »
Quote from: Ocean
what do you mean by the middle? the opening has to be in the middle? it can't be on the side? because my opening right now is on the left side of both hives and its about 4-5 inches
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Ocean;  Put the reducer in using the wide opening as the entrance for the bees, also this will aid in ventilating the hive.  Its ok if the opening isn't in the middle.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Opening for the winter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 10:49:33 pm »
I do not know what are those little entrances in each box, but if they are not open at winter, half or whole hive will die to nosema.

I use 1 or 2 box at winter. I depends how big colony is. If colony is too small to the room, it gathers condensation water and mold will develope to periferia frames.

In our climate many use lower entrance widely open over winter. They put mouse grid there. It depends how windy place you have. Some keep bees under snow.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Opening for the winter
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 08:47:29 am »
The issues on winter entrances are:

mice
robbers
ventilation
snow
dead bees piling up on the bottom

I closed all my bottom entrances off now, but when I had them I reduced them down to about an inch, to keep out the robbers, with 1/4" hardware cloth covering that to keep out the mice and a notch in the inner cover or some other kind of top entrance for top ventilation and an entrance that won't get blocked by snow or dead bees.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Anonymous

Opening for the winter
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 10:48:03 am »
I've been looking around the local hardware stores for some sort of material to use for entrance reducers/mouse guards.  Since there's no longer a common outlet for 3/8" hardware cloth, I figured I could find something made of sheet metal that would substitute.

Almost found a gutter guard with 3/8" holes punched in it, but it was made out of plastic and mice would knaw right thru it.

Anybody come up with anything they've made from readily available materials?

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Opening for the winter
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 11:38:13 am »
I use strip of wood and there 6 mm high and 20 mm wide opening. You may use also  use 6 mm eye size wire mesh.

Anonymous

Opening for the winter
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 12:20:05 pm »
Quote from: Finsky
You may use also  use 6 mm eye size wire mesh.

Can I get that in the US?

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Opening for the winter
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 01:38:25 pm »
Quote from: John G

You have everything there.

Anonymous

Opening for the winter
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 02:47:01 pm »
Quote from: John G

You have everything there.

Including somethings we don't want....   :roll:

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Opening for the winter
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005, 08:29:18 pm »
The mice may get through the 3/8".  You need the 1/4" (#4) hardware cloth.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin