Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cut out question  (Read 1765 times)

Offline jhs494

• House Bee
Cut out question
« on: August 06, 2009, 05:25:59 pm »
We did our first cut-out last night, using a bee-vac following Robo's design. The vacuum worked very well.
The bees seemed small compared to my other two hives.
We were able to get 10 deep frames using the hinged type frames to place the comb into.

My question is how long should we wait until we go in and check for the queen?

We did not see her during the cut out but there was alot of bees. We used a medium hive body with the screened shim and then placed the deep with all the frames of brood on top of the medium. We slid the screen out slowly between them and after dark I could hear them up there with the brood.

I don't want to wait too long, but I also don't want to add any more stress than I already have.
They seem to be coming and going today. Lots of orientation flights.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance.
Joe S.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Cut out question
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 05:44:58 pm »
All eggs laid yesterday or before will hatch by Sat. I would check just enough to find eggs Sunday or Monday.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline wayne

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 07:43:11 pm »
 Stay out of the hive for at least 3 weeks or more. If you go poking around they may abscound.
  There should be eggs and larva in the brood you cut out so even without the queen they can make another one. Give them time to restore the damage to the combs, get used to the box, and if need be to raise a queen.
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 07:46:54 pm »
i don't wait that long, but i do wait at least a week.  also, feed.  it helps them settle in and at this time of the year, they need to rebuild stores quickly. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline jhs494

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 07:50:58 am »
Thanks to everyone for the replies.
We went down after dark and took a peak into the entrance hole. (small flashlight from a distance)
Any bees that did not survive the roller coaster ride down the bee vac hose have been removed.
It also looks like they are cleaning up the comb judging by the trimmings on the bottom of the hive.

I really hope the Queen is in there and survived the move, I would like to keep the genetics of this queen going.
Joe S.

Offline jhs494

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 11:44:58 am »
 :) :) :)

Just a quick update!
 We took a quick look into the hive that we cut out earlier this week.
 The bees have bridged the comb to the frames (We did not pull each frame it could be seen from the top)
Pulled one frame from the outside to give us room and then went to the center frames.
We found eggs in frame 6 and actually spotted the Queen in frame 5. Big sigh of relief.

Thanks again for all the advice!
Joe S.