Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Oxalic Acid Vaporizer  (Read 10234 times)

Offline JD

• New Bee
Oxalic Acid Vaporizer
« on: July 02, 2009, 11:25:21 pm »
Does anyone know how to make or where to buy one. JD

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Oxalic Acid Vaporizer
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 11:52:29 pm »
try a search.  i think it's been talked about before.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 05:49:05 am »

JD...

May be this will help

http://www.members.shaw.ca/orioleln/index.htm

BEE HAPPY Jim134  :)

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 09:51:30 pm »
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 09:46:19 am »
I have the Heilyser Vaporizer and really like it
http://www.members.shaw.ca/orioleln/Vaporizer.htm

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 10:36:31 am »
I use one.  Fast, efficient, no mites, I don't have time to wait around for the bees to live in harmony with mites.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 11:06:20 am »
cindi, which one do you use?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 12:49:36 pm »
I have remade mine (heated with a propane torch, using mapp gas). It is attached to the bottom of a plywood sheet to slide in from the rear of my bottom board. A 90 to go up through the plywood on the end of the tubing. I use SBB's. I was having to block off the SBB's anyway, remove entrance reducers, then shove it in from the front, all entrances were not exactly the same width, PO'd bees would escape, buzz me, get burnt and then a 1/2 a hive of bees come at me when I pulled it out. Now I can just stuff a rag in the entrance. Still PO'd, but I don't have to beat bees off the tubing to go to the next hive. 
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 01:44:08 pm »
cindi, which one do you use?

Kathy, the one is from the same company as this:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/orioleln/Vaporizer.htm

I use the JB200 model.  Ken made some long lines which I can attach to the battery from about 20 feet away, a small car battery I can pack around.  I can do 10 colonies in about 45 minutes, fast, efficient.  I have become faster at this, the more I have done it.  Tried and true, no mites....have that wonderful day, to love and live, health.  Cindi

Direct from the manufacturer.  Any vapours in the hive will not affect honey in any way.  There is more formic acid (formic and oxalic pretty much the same) found in honey naturally than any fumes that would get in it.  I don't apply during honey flow anyways, but it has been imparted to me that it can be done, if the mites are high enough to warrant it.  I always do a sticky board test before any vapourizing anyways.  Period.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 02:04:46 pm »
cindi, in your post a few  years ago, you were going to buy the propane heated vaporizer?  if that is correct, and you changed your mind, what made you chose the battery heated vaporizer?  i debate.  i don't treat much, but apiguard is expensive, and with my short season, i'd like to find something that does not take 4 weeks and warm weather!

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 04:29:31 pm »
Kathy
This is the same vaporizer I bought and talked to cindi alot before i made up my mind.  The reason that i like the 12 volt model is it gets me away from the hive while it is working. The propane has to be right under your nose while heating.  Just as cindi has done I also have 20 ft of lamp cord with battery clamps coiled aroung a small pc of wood.  I plug the enterances with carpet pad strips after slipping the 4 grams loaded burner in.  For a battery I use the small motorcycle 12 volt.  I carry all this in a small cooler along with a roll of duct tape for sealing cracks and upper enterences.  After using mine this weekend, Im adding one more thing to my cooler and that will be somekind of clock or stop watch that I can read without reading glasses.  The cost per colony is pennies and it works

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 04:56:13 pm »
The reason that i like the 12 volt model is it gets me away from the hive while it is working

great point.  thanks.  i could run it off the tractor battery and not have to carry one up with me.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 10:30:42 am »
Kathy, ditto to what Dan said, smiling, have that wonderful day, love our life, health.  Cindi

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 11:02:45 am »
Dan and Cindi,  you are using 4 grams.  I assume that is based upon 2 grams per box is this correct?  Also I am assuming you do 3 treatment 1 week apart each is this also correct?

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 11:44:30 am »
The dose is 2 grams per deep box.  The acid doesn't penetrate cells so in a brood rearing time 3 are needed at 5 - 7 day intervals.  It can be done during broodless times so only one is needed.   The nice thing about this treatment is it can be done anytime the temp is above 40deg.  It also doesn't kill brood as a oxalic drip does.   

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 02:49:33 pm »
Thanks Danno.  I know I have you several questions and I appreciate the help.  I will probably do my first hive Friday so I am "double checking" some of the info I have received.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 03:21:51 pm »
The best time is when everyone is home, morning, evening or bad weather but they can be alittle testy at that time so I give them alttle smoke first

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 04:59:52 pm »
Another question I have is let's say it takes 2 mins to vaporize the oxalic do you then leave the hive sealed for a period of time or do you just reopen and go?

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 08:38:17 am »
I seal the entrance with a strip of carpet pad.  After the burn time I pull the foam back alittle and pull the burner out.  I then reseal and leave it sealed for 10min.  Make sure the pan is cooled down (some use a water soaked sponge) and start the next colony while waiting for the first to sit for the 10min.   I can get 3 to 4 all going at once.   I just write down the start times

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 11:16:41 am »
The best time is when everyone is home, morning, evening or bad weather but they can be alittle testy at that time so I give them alttle smoke first

Personally, I would not advise to smoke the bees, not sure why you would bother, but you must have your reasons, I see it as moot though.

I do mine in the morning when I know that everyone is home (this is totally dependent upon the warmth of the area though). Where I live, I can be assured that everyone is home and in their house all night long.  They don't generally go out until at least 8:00 AM or a bit later, again temperature dependent.

I seal the entrance on the bottom firstly with some foam (an old mattress worked well) and then I seal the slot on the inner cover.  No bees can get out to bother me.  I place the pan that has the crystals in it into the colony by pulling a tiny bit of the foam away and then quickly close it back up.  I vapourize the crystals. It takes to the count of 100, I pull out the basin, cool with water, place in crystals and then carry on to the next.  That hive is left sealed for 10 minutes, no less.  Good luck, you will kill mites by the hundreds, if they are present within the colony, fast, efficient.  Mite free.  Have a beautiful and most wonderful day, love our life, health. Cindi

anything