Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Laptop review  (Read 4162 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Laptop review
« on: June 05, 2009, 02:09:14 pm »
My son is looking at getting a laptop. He wanted a gaming laptop until he saw the prices (XPS or Vigor). I was looking at the Sony Vaio but found you are paying more for the name. I found an Acer on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115546

Anyone have any bad experiences with Acer? Anything good?

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Laptop review
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 07:27:45 pm »
For video intensive gaming,be sure to check the video card ands processor power. intense graphics require intense video cards to get the best performance. if the card is not power packed,it drains all the processsing from the cpu.
See what the minimum game requirements are.remeber these are for minimum performance so make sure you exceed minimum requirements. Does he play online or just at home? A good wireless network  may be in need.

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 07:52:03 pm »
I've got three in my closet from family members who thought that a "cheaper" laptop was just as good.  All pieces of junk.  Go with the better brand name and you won't be sorry.

Offline chad

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 09:13:51 pm »
newegg is great,I like all the reviews.I have a Sony my wife just got a Toshiba.Sony is over priced.Toshiba has always been rated in the top 3 since they came out.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 07:49:37 pm »
Thanks for the info

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 10:30:51 pm »
I just bought a Toshiba from NewEgg. It was a good buy and it works great!

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 11:02:32 pm »
I've never seen a Toshiba that wasn't a solid machine.

Offline StephenSDH

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 11:05:01 pm »
You get what you pay for with laptops.  I buy most of my supplies from newegg.  A gaming laptop you are going to pay through the nose.  In two years a baseline laptop will have the same performance for half the price.  I would lean towards a middle of the road laptop.  Dell would be my preference for gaming, and IBM/Lenova for business.

You should look at the videocard and lcd display, moreso then the cpu for a gaming laptop.

Its hard to pack a nice videocard in a laptop due to heat and battery life.  Some of the new laptops today come with two video cards, one lowpower for regular use and a higher quality one for video/gaming.

Good Luck, Steve

anything