Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What is this and what do I do,if anything?  (Read 7075 times)

Offline Hopeful

• House Bee
What is this and what do I do,if anything?
« on: November 14, 2007, 11:30:55 am »
This morning, I went to check on my bees and found a cluster of bees on the outside of one the hives. The cluster is about 5"X3" and about 2" thick, and seems to be made up of several hundred bees. The weather here has been warm for the last two weeks, but this morning a cold front has come in, and even thought the temp is still about 60, the North wind has put a chill on it that feels more like 50 or so. The wind is blowing at about 18-25 MPH. These bees seem to be clustered up against the cover, wedged in between the cover and the top feeder almost the the eave of a house (the top is larger than the feeder creating a 1" lip). It is possible that there are more bees inside the top feeder.

Anyone here experienced this before/ What is going on? Are they robbers who got caught with their pants down, or is this a late fall swarm? or something else?
"And this is life eternal...." "John 17:3

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: What is this and what do I do,if anything?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 12:01:07 pm »
I would have to wonder if something inside the hive has run them out. Perhaps a chemical smell such as paint, plastic. What is in the hive besides just wax and honey and bees? Done any treatments?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Hopeful

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 12:40:52 pm »
The only thing I have done was give them HBH and fundil about a week and a half ago. One thing that may be worth mentioning is that my neighbor has a few hives of his own about a quarter mile away. I am not sure if he actually takes care of them, and maybe uses them for pollinating only. Is it possible these are his bees and that they came to rob the hive and got caught in the chill? The last time I fed my bees there was a "feeding frenzy" that involved thousands of bees, yellowjackets and wasps when a cover blew off the top of one of the hives in a hard gust of wind (forgot the brick on that one!, oops!)

Any thoughts?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 08:31:45 pm »
A queen who tried to mate and can't get back in?  An old queen that was superseded but still had a following?  A late swarm that is trying to move in?  An AHB swarm that is trying to take over?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Hopeful

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 11:08:27 pm »
So, Michael have you experienced this before? What should I do, try to capture them tomorrow?  How? They were very tightly packed together and were very slow moving, if they moved at all, and appeared very calm. This just seems very wierd, even for someone with so little experience. I checked the neighbors hives,which are stenciled with the name of a local large beekeeper, and I saw no activity whatsoever around his hives. The are stacked two deeps and three supers, which seemed odd for this time of year. I wondered if they were even active hives.

Thoughts, Michael?

Offline Hopeful

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 12:37:52 pm »
Well, it got down to about 38 this morning and when I went to check on the bees, the cluster was dead and falling off the hive in clumps. Too bad. I guess the point is moot now.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 02:00:25 pm »
Dead or just too cold to move? I've had individual bees stuck out in cold weather and then move in when the sun warmed them up.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Bill from NJ

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 02:37:11 pm »
Hopeful,

Jerrymac has a very valid point. The cold does seem to place the bees in a temoprary state of animation.
After the bee cluster gets warm... look out they become very active again!

Try and see if you can make a NUC or hive them and see what you can get going.

Good luck.

Regards,
Bill from NJ

Offline Hopeful

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 07:31:05 pm »
Well, I returned to the hives this afternoon after it warmed up to about 55. The cluster was now down to about a few dozen bees, ad they were indeed tending to a queen! I had an empty nuc box and scraped what bees I could into the box, put a feeder in it with three frames of drawn comb. I am not holding out much hope, but I am trying to at least help where I can. Its up to God now. All these bees belong to him.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 10:23:55 am »
Are you sure they are god's bees?  Maybe not.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Hopeful

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 11:21:30 am »
What do you mean? Can you expand on your thought?

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 03:02:46 pm »
Time to start a new topic!!!!!!

Offline Hopeful

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 04:02:01 pm »
Annette,
 Even though I live in Oklahoma, I grew up on the West coast in the Portland area. Passive and open hostility against all things Christian is as normal as the Northwest rain. It does not bother me. I am a well -educated man and know statements that are meant to pick a fight when I see them. Too bad I would have to start a new topic over this. I have captured a very small swarm and would be interested in knowing what their chances are. But I guess that maybe will have to wait for a more tolerant time.

I apologize if I have offended anyone.  :)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 05:32:34 pm »
Did not mean to offend!!! It just seemed like the topic was going in a different direction so I said that. I am the most tolerant person you will ever meet. I also am accepting of all faiths and religions as long as they teach peace and kindness.

Sorry for the misunderstanding and I should not have put my nose in the discussion. Will you forgive??

Annette

Offline Hopeful

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 08:02:17 pm »
Oh no, Annette, you did not offend me in the least. I am not either offended by Cindi's comment. It was her comment I was alluding to in my last post, not yours. I appreciate that you want to keep things positive. I too, am very tolerant and accepting of all people, and like you wish for peace and kindness between people of all faiths and backgrounds.

You wrote<
>>>>"I am the most tolerant person you will ever meet. I also am accepting of all faiths and religions as long as they teach peace and kindness."<<<<

Agreed, I am not sure everyone here is the same, however. I need to try to remember that this is not a Christian forum, and that some people are offended by references to God and Christ. But I yam what I yam. And it does indeed shine through from time to time. (I wish it was more with my life than my words, though :)).

If being a Christian is not okay on this forum, the someone authoritative please tell me so, and I can go somewhere else and leave you all in peace.

God bless

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2007, 09:39:01 pm »
Please do not go anywhere and by all means be yourself.

Sincerely
Annette

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2007, 10:31:04 pm »
Being a Christian in this forum is just fine.  Some of the tolerance needs to sway back towards people who do believe - I am a Pantheist but think everyone finds their own path.

Offline Hopeful

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2007, 11:16:18 pm »
Thanks for the reassurance. Being the kind of Christian I am, I kind of get it from both sides, since I am niether a right-wing fundamentalist nor a liberal. This helps me be more tolerant of others and appreciate that we each have a mind and a life experience that nobody else has. That and God loves everyone, not just Christians. As such, I try to do the same.

Blessings.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2007, 11:45:24 pm »
Thanks for the reassurance. Being the kind of Christian I am, I kind of get it from both sides, since I am niether a right-wing fundamentalist nor a liberal. This helps me be more tolerant of others and appreciate that we each have a mind and a life experience that nobody else has. That and God loves everyone, not just Christians. As such, I try to do the same.

Blessings.

Every organized religion in the world keeps getting hung up on one point:  God is the creator, he loves us all.  He doesn't love Mary any more/less for being Catholic than he loves Mitt more/less for being Mormon.  "God likes me best" is as rediculous with religion as it was with children accusing each other of their parents liking a sibling best.
I'm a Mormon myself, but I don't believe that God has limited a person's entry into heaven just because of their religionous beliefs.  I hope I make it.  I do know that those who do make it are going to be terribly surprized by those they find who did/didn't make it. 
The key to the kingdom is made up of love and service. 
If you're not giving love and service to others you're note living by the basic tenets of God--regardless of the religion.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2007, 01:29:01 pm »
Hopeful, oh, oh.....you took something that I said in the wrong vein.  I did not mean to cause any offence by my statement about "God's bees" and I apologize from the bottom of my heart, I should not have said those words.  Apology sent to you and I need you to accept this.  What I meant was, that not all of us are Christian, some do not believe in the God, as Christian know it.  I am for one, I believe in something that is of a higher plain, we won't go into that.

Don't leave this forum because you may feel that there is some prejudice, that was never intended from anyone here, especially myself in this thought.  Every human being in this world is entitiled to their free choice of belief, and no one should ever sway these choices. Sorry.

Have a wonderful and beautiful day, please stay and enjoy our forum friends together.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything