Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What happened???  (Read 1232 times)

Offline SteamboatBee

• New Bee
What happened???
« on: March 26, 2016, 07:51:09 pm »
About a month and a half ago (Superbowl Sunday actually) I had 2 hives that were showing signs of activity and looking to have made it though the winter. We had some rain and colder weather for the last few weeks and when the weather changed I expected to start seeing activity in the hives. However, nothing doing I am a new beek, as these hives were new last Spring. So today it was finally above 60 so I decided to see if maybe they were just a small cluster or what was going on. Here is what I found.

1. All the bees were dead. Some covered in mold some looking like they had not died very long ago. Each hive had 3 or so small clusters like in the first image.
2. Each hive had at least 4 full frames of capped honey like the second image.
3. Not sure if these are brood cells or what but the "clump"  in picture 3 was between the two hive boxes and not attached to a frame.
4. After reading and looking at images I think it's possible mites might be the problem? While hard to tell exactly as it said that it would be noticable where the last frames of brood were, I am not sure that is the case. Not to mention I did not notice any deformities of wings that is associated with mites. Image 3 is what makes me suspect mites.

The bees appear to be healthy at least to my untrained eye, if Mites were the issue would they be present on the dead bees?

I know this is a ton of questions and information, I would love to get some opinions or ideas about what to do next. How do I determine if my equipment can be cleaned and reused? Exactly how should I clean it? Or, should I just burn it and start over?

I am happy to take any other pictures anyone might want that would in turn shed some light on what happend.

I am sick to my stomach that all my girls are dead......

Any and all responses are greatly appreciated!!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: What happened???
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 11:01:10 pm »
The last frame shows mite fesie, lots of it.
I suspect their numbers went down to the point that they could not create enough heat to keep them from freezing.
Jim

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline SteamboatBee

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 11:11:57 pm »
Hey Jim,
I know you said that last frame shows mite feces and lots of it, but that is the only frame in both hives that looks like that. Wouldn't there be other spots that looked the same if it was a nasty mite infestation?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 12:59:37 am »
I'm just telling you what I see. Where was that frame in the hive?
I recommend you set out some swarm traps. If you can catch a swarm from a feral hive that has learned to survive without any treatment, this won't bee a problem in the future.
By the way, the only thing to do with those hives is to protect them from wax moths and small hive beetles. Extract that honey and enjoy.
Jim
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 09:09:54 am by sawdstmakr »
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 04:50:54 am »
In the first picture there are several dead bees with their bums sticking out of the cells - that might suggest some degree of isolation starvation, but only if there are a lot more like that.

LJ

A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

anything