Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I found a Queen!!!  (Read 5404 times)

Offline Rich V

• House Bee
I found a Queen!!!
« on: May 16, 2005, 03:53:41 pm »
I opened my hives today. #1 is doing good,and I found the Queen. Can't say when the last time was, I got so excited. It was like Christmas. I even got her marked. The second hive thats another story. Population  is down,and lots of drones. It looks bleak. Can't get a hold of Bee Weaver They were suppose to send a queen last week, I ordered another from Honey Bee Genetics. I'll proably end up with more queen then I need.

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
I found a Queen!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 05:42:14 pm »
Well, if you do end up with an extra queen, you could always split the stronger hive with her.

Beth

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
I found a Queen!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 10:45:34 pm »
That is a good possibility beth, that is weird that they didnt send her though after a week. :?
Ryan Horn

Offline latebee

• House Bee
I found a Queen!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 10:35:31 pm »
Had a similar problem with a drone laying queen last week. Could not get a reasonably priced queen,then I called Draper Bee in Pennsyvania and they can ship a queen next day for $17.95 including shipping. No this is not meant to be an add just trying to help here.
The person who walks in another's tracks leaves NO footprints.

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
I found a Queen!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 10:52:25 pm »
I order from Draper a week ago last Tuesday.  The queen was waiting for me at the post office at 7:30 the next morning!

-- Kris

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
I found a Queen!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 10:54:28 pm »
Ok... and whats the latest report for the splits, the production... .the attitude in the bee yard... the learning curve of the beekeeper

Offline Rich V

• House Bee
I found a Queen!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 10:58:39 pm »
Well just as I figured. Yesterday the post office delivered two queens.
I installed the one from Honey Bee Genetics.

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
I found a Queen!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 11:43:10 pm »
Quote from: thegolfpsycho
Ok... and whats the latest report for the splits, the production... .the attitude in the bee yard... the learning curve of the beekeeper

Well, I went pulled the queen cage out of the hive last Sunday morning, and she'd been released.  I decided not to dig into the boxes so as to let her start doing her work undisturbed.  I figure either she's in there laying eggs, or another queen is doing her thing, because the hive is acting normal, busy foraging and bringing in pollen, etc.  I plan to inspect tomorrow to find out if the queen I introduced is the one in there.  That hive seems to be going strong.

The other split is strong, too, maybe stronger than the other.  I went into it last Sunday.  The bees were still drawing bad comb in the upper box, but not anywhere near as much as before.  I'd neglected to duct tape my pant legs, and sure enough, got a sting behind my knee.  The swelling was gone by Wednesday, though.    :D   Both splits are busy drawing out there second boxes, and perhaps I may be able to super one or both of them with supers full of drawn comb I have waiting to go on.

The two new colonies have dwindled, being only 4 weeks old, but new bees will be coming along soon and I expect the populations to grow again.

It's been a busy week, and I hadn't had time to do much with the bees other than feed them.  Maybe I'll have something new to add tomorrow . . .

-- Kris

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
I found a Queen!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2005, 03:32:35 pm »
Another update: all the hives are doing well, queenright and increasing in size.  Even my "problem" hive now has a plump queen -- not, unfortunately, the one I put in there, unless her paint job came off.   :( Well, I viewed her as life insurance, insurance that the hive would have a chance to live.  

The two splits had 60% and 75% of their second brood boxes drawn with brood in them, so I supered them both with drawn comb.  The two new hives are growing again, with 25% and 50% of their second brood boxes drawn and with some brood.  I'll keep feeding them.

Lunch is over.  Now it's time to go stake the tomatoes and string up the peas.

-- Kris

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
I found a Queen!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2005, 10:27:27 pm »
That all sounds like it's worked out. That's good. :)

Beth

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
I found a Queen!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 09:51:16 pm »
Yes, in spite of all my best efforts at help!

-- Kris