Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey Price per. lb  (Read 6876 times)

Offline Mike48

• New Bee
Honey Price per. lb
« on: October 09, 2012, 06:00:31 pm »
What is an lb. of raw wildflower honey selling for in your area ? :?. I see it from $5.00 to $8.00 lb.

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
Re: Honey Price per. lb
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 06:09:04 pm »
Ours is $8.00 a lb.  My honey this year was a nice amber color and ran < 18% on every sample. Please note, that is honey weight not honey in a 1 lb container. Most containers use water weight for its designation. So a 12 oz (water) container would hold 1 lb of honey. -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 07:48:48 pm »

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 08:55:19 pm »
5-7

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 09:34:10 pm »
Six.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline BabcockFarms

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 12:10:56 am »
I'm a little surprised that honey isn't going higher with the drought and all. The other day I was in the grocery store looking at the local honey selection. They had a 3# jug for $10. I wouldn't have been surprised if it had been $10 a pound all things considered.
Ron Babcock

"I believe the good that men do, will live long after they gone."
                                                                                                                          ~Mr. Fox Haas

<

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 06:38:39 am »
I haven't been at this too long, but I don't know that the drought really hurt us to bad up here. We had lots of alfalfa blooming that we normally don't get. It was often to short to cut due to the drought.  My strong hives did very good.

I wonder, even though there is a bloom if the drought doesn't have much effect on the plants ability to produce nectar in normal amounts?

Joel

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 09:40:15 am »
6 - blackberry  $40 gallon
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 10:34:01 am »
I wish when these threads come up as they do every year, the question would be how much did you PRODUCE and at what price di you sell it for.  I can see getting 8.00 lb if you have say 50 lbs to sell.   Heck at 8.00 a pound I could make have made 40,000.00 this year

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 06:28:28 pm »
I get 6 dollars for a 1 lb glass jar or 12 oz  honey bear.Both sell just as well.

Offline BabcockFarms

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 09:12:06 pm »
The amount of honey marketable locally is minimal in the grander picture especially for larger producers. I doubt that between friends, neighbors, and other people that I personally know, could sell more than 200 -300 pounds a year. Maybe if I had the time to work the farmers markets I could double that number. Anything that was produced above and beyond that amount I would expect to sell wholesale.

I think most of the folks on this forum that are looking to see what other beekeepers are marketing are selling their honey for, are looking for affirmation on what to set their local prices at. I know when I look at the prices on here that is what I am looking for.

This is my first year and I'm having no problem selling mine for $8.00 a pound, and I have about 180 pounds available of which I will keep about 3 gallons for my self.
Ron Babcock

"I believe the good that men do, will live long after they gone."
                                                                                                                          ~Mr. Fox Haas

<

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 10:21:31 pm »
"I get 6 dollars for a 1 lb glass jar or 12 oz  honey bear. Both sell just as well."

LOL!!!  People sure are funny at times.   I'd be pushing the bears.

Offline Nature Coast Beek

• House Bee
  • Suck it up, buttercup!
    • Both Feet In
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 12:41:13 pm »
I see local wildflower honey selling for $10/lb at the feed supply store, yet I can drive down the road to the honor stand and buy as much as I want for under $3.50/lb (half gallon minimum).

Offline paindragon1

• New Bee
  • <vacant space>
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 02:55:49 pm »
I wish when these threads come up as they do every year, the question would be how much did you PRODUCE and at what price di you sell it for.  I can see getting 8.00 lb if you have say 50 lbs to sell.   Heck at 8.00 a pound I could make have made 40,000.00 this year

You pulled down 5,000 lbs of honey this year? That is obscene, unless you are  commercial!

EDITED TO ADD: You know how much Mead I could make with 5k lbs of honey?!
Veni vidi, fecit mulsi.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 03:08:16 pm »

You pulled down 5,000 lbs of honey this year? That is obscene, unless you are  commercial!

I would be considered a sideliner and by my calculations you could make about 2083.3333 gallons of mead

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 03:11:57 pm »
Just enough for a couple of weeks.   :-D

Offline paindragon1

• New Bee
  • <vacant space>
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 03:14:59 pm »

I would be considered a sideliner and by my calculations you could make about 2083.3333 gallons of mead

Ugh, DRY mead?! Gross!  I was figuring closer to 1,666 gallons (roughly $80k worth!)
Veni vidi, fecit mulsi.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 03:43:06 pm »
Quote from: paindragon1 link=topic=39183.msg329613#msg329613 [/quote

Ugh, DRY mead?! Gross!  I was figuring closer to 1,666 gallons (roughly $80k worth!)
[/quote]
I completely agree.   Grapes need to be dry but mead needs sweetness to be drinkable

Offline Mbeck

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 06:39:52 pm »
I'm at $8.00 per # more for less and a little less for more.
There are lots of people buying honey and bottling and some buying cases wholesale to resell.
Honey priced cheaper than mine is everywhere. The $3.50 a # guy runs 14000 hives.

Offline JPBEEGETTER

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 07:00:28 pm »
I bottle mine in new pint jars and sell for $8.oo pint. Don't care whether they buy or not. have reg customers, and my bees get as needed...  JPP

anything