Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive tracks  (Read 7105 times)

Offline danno

• Super Bee
Re: Hive tracks
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 08:59:11 am »
I would like a downloadable version ...  

Is it advertising if I mention my own downloadable beekeeping software, HiveTasks? There is a free trial version so you can see if the software suits your needs.
I have looked at your site Jeanette and want try the trial version next year.  One thing that already jumps out at me is the lack of a sideliner version.  Hobby version is to small and commercial is to big and expensive

Offline Jeanette

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 06:22:17 pm »
@Danno Thank you for the feedback! How many hives would you like to see allowed in a sideliner version?
Jeanette

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 08:40:19 pm »
@Danno Thank you for the feedback! How many hives would you like to see allowed in a sideliner version?
about 100

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2012, 08:46:50 pm »
Most sideliners around here run close to 100 hives.

Offline Jeanette

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2012, 10:18:22 pm »
OK, I'll work on adding a sideliner edition for about 100 hives. If you have any other suggestions, just let me know!
Jeanette

Offline lazy shooter

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 09:19:01 am »
I'm a hobbyist that may be best described as a naturalist, but 100 hives sounds way too big to be a sideliner.  We're talking about people that harvest from five to 10 thousands pounds of honey per year.  At approximately eight bucks per pound, that sounds too large to be a "sideliner."  That's not even considering the other items sold from a hundred hives.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2012, 10:36:38 am »
A commercial beekeeper keeps bees as his only source to make a living. A sideliner keeps bees as a secondary source to his full time job. Try to make a living off a 100 hives as your only source of income. Get back to me at the end of the year and tell me how much stuff the bank let you keep.
I feel that in this day and age, that I wouldn't even consider going commercial  without at least 200 300 hives to start.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2012, 10:47:20 am »
I would also like to know where I can sell 5,000lbs of honey at 8.00 a pound.  That would be about 5200.00 a barrel

Offline jtwinboone

• New Bee
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2012, 01:15:58 pm »
Yes, I would also like to know where to get $8 per pound for that much!  I can get that much or more retail for sourwood.  Interesting that a thread on HiveTracks got turned into a discussion of HiveTasks!

Offline beeman2009

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2012, 02:17:20 pm »

I use the hivetracks, I love it, but like you guys are talking about I forget my hives by the time I get on the computer.  I am thinking of trying the QR-Code system next year just not sure how well the stickers will hold up on the side of the hives. 

I used the stick on numbers too, only on the top. Not as easy to see as on the side, buts lasts a long time. Someone suggested either a branding iron or stencils/paint. I'm thinking at least for now I am going with the stencil.   :soapbox:

Beeman
All things may be lawful, but not all things are advantageous.

Beeman2009

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2012, 05:34:44 pm »
In a pinch, I've used a stencil and a permanent black Sharpie marker.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2012, 08:45:33 pm »
The guys around me who call themselves commercial run about 500 hives.  Even at 500 hives, they are not living high on the hog!  One of these guys is also into about 4 other Agricultural businesses besides the bees and still doesn’t appear to be awash in cash.  Making a living off bees sure looks difficult.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2012, 09:38:11 pm »
The first hive in the yard is # 1 then # 2 and so on, no need for numbering the hives.

mvh edward  :-P

Offline ozebee

• House Bee
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2012, 01:41:37 am »
They have an app for your smart phone already. I have been just turning on my voice recorder and place it in a pocket. Hope no one see's me talking to myself wandering around the bee yard.
You have to have a numbering system of some sort though. When I have time I just replay and enter info into Hive Tracks. Every thing works well unless you can't get at your information on line.
Great idea with the voice recorder. Even with good smart phone connection, it is virtually impossible to stop what you are doing and type up inspection notes with sticky fingers on a nice clean phone. Voice recorder idea is great - I'll use it!!

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2012, 07:54:16 pm »
The new digital voice recorders have very good microphones that pickup from a distance.
I don't have to actually speak into it. just sit it down close by.