Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Air Stapler Usage  (Read 3523 times)

Offline tshnc01

• House Bee
    • Soil to Sustenance
Air Stapler Usage
« on: September 05, 2010, 07:15:22 pm »
Hello all, I will be assembling quite a bit of woodenware this fall (frames, hive bodies and supers) and have ordered an air stapler :).

I would like to purchase hive bodies from Miller Bee Supply; however the finger joints are already pre-drilled for nails to prevent splitting.  My question is:  Should I
  a) not worry about it.  A 1/4" crown crown staple will still work fine (i.e. just ignore the pre-drilled hole)
  b) ask Miller if I can get them to not pre-drill the joints
  c) or get some somewhere else that aren't pre-drilled if Miller can't give me plain ones

Thanks,

...Tim

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Air Stapler Usage
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 07:27:09 pm »
you'll want a stapler/nailer.  sorry, can't help with the other question.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 07:53:13 pm »
You can ask if they can get them to you without the pre drilling but it doesn't matter one way or the other if they are or aren't.

If you're putting supers together wood glue and 1 and 1/2" long staples is the way to go.

Be generous with the staples.

Use 1" staples on the frames.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 08:45:04 pm »
Ask Beverly if it would be a problem for them to not drill the nail guides. I'm sure that Presley would be more than happy to cut some mediums for you that don't have the holes!

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 09:19:48 pm »
i use wood glue and nails for the supers, but long staples work too.  staples for sure for the frames and i like a little gorilla glue on those also.  sometimes i forget.....
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BBees

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 10:02:03 am »
Don't worry about the holes. The staple gun pays for itself many times over in saved time if you're making a more than a few hives/frames. Using a frame jig is another big time saver.

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. Confusius

Offline tshnc01

• House Bee
    • Soil to Sustenance
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 12:09:13 pm »
Thanks everyone.....I was (and still am) planning to use the stapler for both frame and hive body construction (1" for frames and 1.5" for hive bodies as JP suggests).  And I do plan to glue everything as well.  Also will make a jig like the one in ROBO's video for making frames.  I will still probably shoot a note to the Miller Bee folks to let them know I don't need holes pre-drilled as it might save them a little time.

...Tim

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 12:14:23 pm »
It would be great if your supers didn't have the holes to dodge while you're stapling but either way, you should be set to go.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline ronwhite3030

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 02:56:40 pm »
1/4" crown seems small, i personally like to use 1/2" crown staples on supers.

anything