Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Question about a book  (Read 1653 times)

Offline Umbriel971

• New Bee
Question about a book
« on: November 05, 2008, 08:46:11 pm »
Greetings, I have not posted on these forums for a very long time as I have been overseas.  I have a question about a book I have.  I have a first edition Langstrom's "The Hive and the Honeybee" revised by Dadant and sons, printed in 1889.  As far as I can see it has no ISDN number.  I am not from the USA so I don't known when this body was formed.  So far, I have been unable to find out anything about the value of this book as no-one seems to have it.  Now, I am not looking to sell it, as it is wonderfully written and the picture plates are very well done, but I wanted some idea of its worth for insurance purposes.  Can anyone suggest or point to someone I can talk toÉ.    Thanks

Matt

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Question about a book
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 09:11:53 pm »
You could start here: http://fadedgiant.net/

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Question about a book
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 09:27:04 pm »
>I have a question about a book I have.  I have a first edition Langstrom's "The Hive and the Honeybee"

Langsroth?

> revised by Dadant and sons, printed in 1889.

That's not really his, but Dadant's version of it.  At least an early one.

>  As far as I can see it has no ISDN number.

ISBN?  No.  It would predate that by about 100 years.

>  I am not from the USA so I don't known when this body was formed.

Dadant and Sons have been around about as long as Langstroth was.  C.P. Dadant was one of the early fathers of beekeeping here (although he came here from France).

>  So far, I have been unable to find out anything about the value of this book as no-one seems to have it.

You can find various ones for sale from time to time.  I have a few earlier ones.  Seems like I paid around $50 US for each of them.

>  Now, I am not looking to sell it, as it is wonderfully written and the picture plates are very well done, but I wanted some idea of its worth for insurance purposes.

I think that's a good guess although you could probably hold out for twice that if it's in really excellent condition.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin