Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Great Honey flow  (Read 5230 times)

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
Great Honey flow
« on: January 03, 2013, 05:15:08 pm »
We just had the best December honey flow I can remember. We took honey of our 15 working hives 3 times with a total yield of 754 kg - averaging about 50 kg per hive for the month. I also did a number of splits of the best of the best.
We had a number of very dry months  and looks like something is liking it and is flowering. Last year we had a very good flow of Brushbox but they only flower ever few years really well. I know there are a few Bloodwood out and some E. tesselaris but they are rarely any use.
I will keep my eyes open but I'm not the only one around here pleased and surprised!

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
Re: Great Honey flow
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 06:18:06 pm »
Awesome Max2 thats alot of Honey from those Hives.  It is dry as Hell here at the moment but the girls are still bringing in nectar as well.  It is amazing that they find flowering plants when there are none to be seen.

Cheers
Steve

Offline Birdswood

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 11:10:38 pm »
Good luck to you Max. My girls are struggling to find anything at the moment and these 40 degree days are not helping...WHERE'S THE BLOODY RAIN???  :? :? :?

Offline ozebee

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 01:19:08 am »
Where are you located Max?  Sydney can be excellent with Brushboxes booming in December. Seemed OK this year but I did not have strong enough colonies to take advantage - just building them up.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 07:29:53 pm »
You suck hahahahah - JOKING - it's shocking down here in Vic at the moment! but seriously well done mate - that's an awesome return

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 09:54:55 pm »
All my hives out at the Otways are full of blackberry honey, just waiting for them to cap off the cells  :-D Unfortunately the blackberries are nearly done so that may well be my lot for this year. As much as they are a noxious weed and I am doing my best to keep our property free of them, I am very grateful for my lax neighbours  :evil:

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 10:23:14 pm »
You suck too Paul hahahahah - if any mod gets upset at me saying that it's meant in a completely humorous way - crazy aussie humour ;) gotta love it!

That's great news Paul! I had a heap going on while the blackberry was blooming this season so didnt have a chance to go around and find a property that could host them! I'm going to make sure that I'm prepared well in advance for next year

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 03:39:27 am »
Well, the rain sure has come!! We had some Bloodwood flowering and there should be some Soap Wood around. Bees doing OK but no flow to speak off and a lot more rain on the way. Forest Red Gum is budding here - looking good for winter....maybe get some clover late winter?

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 09:20:12 pm »
Where are you located Max?

Offline squidink

• House Bee
    • www.bensbees.com.au
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 04:12:39 am »
Thats fantastic Max!

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 03:42:44 am »

We had a number of very dry months  and looks like something is liking it and is flowering.

Have you noticed that bees lick honey dew from leaves?
Or do your car get sugar rain under trees?

-
Language barrier NOT included

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 04:37:16 pm »
Where are you located Max?

I'm living at a place called Crystal Waters ( you can Goggle it) it is an ecological village on the mary River - about 25 min from Maleny.
We just had another low coming by and it has been wet but this morning it is looking fine. Goos for the bees.