Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beekeeping Gloves  (Read 9335 times)

Offline Wonga

• House Bee
  • The budget should be balanced, the Treasury refill
Re: Beekeeping Gloves
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 11:03:24 pm »

Plenty of SHB around Western Sydney and theLower Blue Mountains. That's no surprise really, they entered Australia near here, at Richmond, from the USA in 2000, with equipment for the Sydney Olympics - sure glad the Federal Government "saved" so much money cutting back Customs & Quarantine costs. The story I've heard is the Apiarist at Hawkesbury Agricultural College at Richmond had trouble convincing the State Department of Agriculture that he had found SHB . . . . . Ironic that SHB landed at Richmond, given that its the heart of NSW beekeeping including the Wheen Foundation.

I "control" the mongrel things with traps, and now I'm trying those new beeltra brand SHB traps. You have to help the bees, they can't stop all the SHB. The little beggars can fly for kilometres, some say 20K, and they breed in the soil around a hive once they find one.

Gloves are problematic, but you'll need them at least for major work on your hives.

regards, Wonga

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2012, 12:01:26 am »
I'm at the FL State bee keepers convention in Tampa FL. The quest speaker has been working with bees in Brazil. Home of AHB. The area he is working in produces green propolis. I asked what type of bees they were using because the pictures showed beeks in the hives with no attacks. He said that they were AHB and to work with AHB you have to learn how to be gentle when working in these hives. In teaching a new group of beeks he opened the largest hive and went through it from top to bottom with no problems. Then he let the students open the weakest hive. The bees went into a full attack. What he showed is it is all in how you handle them. He also mentioned that when someone mishandles a hive that the next time they get near the hive they get attacked before they opened it. Treat your bees as you want your bees to treat you.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Maryland Beekeeper

• House Bee
  • Nature does nothing uselessly. Aristotle
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2012, 12:52:25 am »
Jim,
Very interesting thanks for sharing that. Being a Perone guy I have heard that once they,
"Get to know you", the Africanized B's are same as any. My area was recently switched into the next warmest gardening zone so maybe I'll be finding out one day. :)
Cheers,
Drew
p.s. Look forward to hearing about any interesting happenings @ the conference.

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2012, 01:37:36 am »
What he showed is it is all in how you handle them. He also mentioned that when someone mishandles a hive that the next time they get near the hive they get attacked before they opened it. Treat your bees as you want your bees to treat you.
Jim

I have noticed that, sometimes i can be a  bit clumsy and bump a frame or 2 i once dropped one with bees on it, and yes they did go me the next day just walking near the hive. Ive found if they start to fire up ... if i back off for a bit then they calm down again, seems a couple set more off..