Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Straightening bent comb  (Read 6164 times)

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
Straightening bent comb
« on: May 06, 2013, 11:06:56 am »
When is the best time to do this?

I've noticed my bees are curling the ends of the comb a little. Its nothing significant and it hasn't crossed bars but the is a definite curling on the ends. I've seen/read that I can cut these ends free and straighten it out.

My concern is the age of the comb. These are all 2 month old combs. Heavy honey bands in the tops all the way to the edges. I'm worried if I cut the ends free that the comb will break.

Am I better off letting this curl go till the comb is a little older and stronger or should I go ahead and fix it now?

Moots

Re: Straightening bent comb
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 07:33:29 pm »
I'm a newbie and have very little to no experience straightening comb...so fair warning, this advice is probably worth less than you're paying for it.   :laugh:

That being said, I've always gotten the impression on this subject that you should correct it as soon as possible.  The longer you let it go, the bigger the mess.

I'm sure someone with more experience will weigh in.

Good luck.  :)

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 01:55:37 pm »
> I've seen/read that I can cut these ends free and straighten it out.

It's more art than science.  Like you say, one of the issues is the weight and the age of the comb.  New comb is really soft and weak.  Honey comb is heavy.  It takes some practice to learn what you can get away with as far as straightening new, soft, heavy comb.  But I would straighten it anytime I thought i could get away with it.  Meanwhile, though, feeding empty bars between two straight brood combs is the best way to make sure the next comb is straight.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline njfl

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 03:15:17 pm »
I would either straighten the comb right away, or cut the curved part out altogether.  Only cut it out if it's just honey or nectar, though.  The curve will get more pronounced with each top bar, and then you will have a mess as they get attached to two consecutive top bars.  Then you'll really need to do some cutting!

Offline JPBEEGETTER

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 06:37:36 pm »
Take a sharp knife and cut back to where it starts to curve ,straighten and press down on comb to top bar will straighten it self out JPP.

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 08:06:24 pm »
I wouldn't try that with new comb with honey in it. Every time I have tried that the comb has fallen.

Offline beeman2009

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 08:54:26 pm »
If curled ends are small you could cut the ends off & let the bees rebuild it. Just a thought.
All things may be lawful, but not all things are advantageous.

Beeman2009