Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: spliting hives  (Read 4057 times)

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
spliting hives
« on: February 28, 2010, 11:52:22 pm »
im in south louisiana and warm weather today,alot of bees are  flying.i opened 2 hives to check on them .have cap brood,larva and eggs in both hives.i have caped drone cells to wih live drones in both hives.is it to early to do a split?
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: spliting hives
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 12:02:19 am »
im in south louisiana and warm weather today,alot of bees are  flying.i opened 2 hives to check on them .have cap brood,larva and eggs in both hives.i have caped drone cells to wih live drones in both hives.is it to early to do a split?

You should be ok to split this Wednesday.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 12:11:43 am »
THANKS JP,
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 12:15:46 am »
You're welcome. Where in south Louisiana are you located?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 12:26:46 am »
IM IN PAULINA, LUTCHER,GRAMERCY AREA.I TALKED TO YOU ABOUT COMING TO SEE YOUR BEE YARD.MY NAME IS BRUCE
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 12:37:25 am »
Bruce, keep an eye on the weather, but I believe you may be good to go on Wednesday, Thursday may be even a little better as I see it will be warmer.

It sounds like your bees and mine are on par with each other. Drones have been flying for about a week now.

The only reason I haven't gone in and done any splitting yet is because of the crazy weather we've been having.

The timing is right though for our bees to swarm, it is just around the corner. Late Feb early March is when our bees gear for repoductive swarming.

...JP

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 01:01:56 am »
JP, JUST WATCHED THE WEATHER,LOOKS LIKE RAIN MONDAY EVINING TURNING COLD.MAN IM READY FOR THE WARM WEATHER.LIKE YOU SAID ,ONE DAY YOUR IN A SHIRT ,THE NEXT IN A HEAVY JACKET.
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline harvey

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 12:07:13 pm »
Ha,  Michigan hit 40 degrees Yesterday and today also,  most running around in just a heavy shirt,  lot of folks putting short sleve shirts on today as hit might hit 41,  just about time to put the spring jackets away!

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 01:58:01 pm »
We are supposed to get snow tomorrow. Not too happy about that.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 07:11:22 pm »
im in south louisiana as well and agree with jp.
go through your hives now and look for queen cells ( they should be there on a strong hive)
make use of these in the splits you make.

im going into hives tomorrow and wednesday to make splits if the weather allows.
bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 07:39:00 pm »
hey baily,i pass through raceland to go to my place in grand isle.i would like to stop by to meet you and checkout your beeyard one day.schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 07:52:19 pm »
i have my hives scattered across the parish, no real main bee yard to see.
you gonna go to the meeting in missisippi?
bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 08:43:52 pm »
can you fill me in on the meeting.im new to all of this.what do you have to join?                                                                                                                                                                                               bruce
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 05:11:07 am »
can you fill me in on the meeting.im new to all of this.what do you have to join?                                                                                                                                                                                               bruce

Bruce, have you been in your bees lately? Did you make your splits yet?

All are welcome at Bud's. He is in Macon, Mississippi. Its just an annual get together, very lax, going through hives, some demonstrations but no real stringent agenda. Don't have to be a member of anything to attend.

...JP

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 01:39:27 am »
JP, WILL DO SPLITS TOMORROW.THE QUEENS ARE LAYING GOOD,HAVE ALOT OF EGGS AND LARVA.HOPE THEY MAKE GOOD QUEENS LIKE THE ONES I HAVE.I KNOW YOU GET A LOT OF CUTOUTS AND SWARMS,BUT DO YOU MAKE SPLITS,IF SO DO YOU LET THEM MAKE THEIR OWN QUEEN OR DO YOU BUY THEM?  WHAT'S THE DATE ON BUDS IN MISSISSIPPI?                                                                                                     THANKS                                                                                                                                                                                          BRUCE                                                                                     
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 10:57:42 am »
JP, WILL DO SPLITS TOMORROW.THE QUEENS ARE LAYING GOOD,HAVE ALOT OF EGGS AND LARVA.HOPE THEY MAKE GOOD QUEENS LIKE THE ONES I HAVE.I KNOW YOU GET a LOT OF CUTOUTS AND SWARMS,BUT DO YOU MAKE SPLITS,IF SO DO YOU LET THEM MAKE THEIR OWN QUEEN OR DO YOU BUY THEM?  WHAT'S THE DATE ON BUDS IN MISSISSIPPI?                                                                                                     THANKS                                                                                                                                                                                          BRUCE                                                                                     

Bruce, my bees are about a week and a half behind schedule, maybe more. I am waiting to do any splitting. I found this out this past Wed & Thursday. Bees are, or were at the time still in winter mode and the numbers just aren't there yet, so I am waiting.

Normally, this is the time to split, even maybe a week ago, but this crazy winter has held them back.

My friend near Raceland bees are about a week or more ahead of mine. He is seeing some queen cups but no swarm cells yet, but his numbers are many more than mine. His bees are definitely in early spring mode.

We are in a warming trend now, so things are looking up.

I never buy queens, I draw from good hives and let my bees make their own queens or I take from swarms.

Bud's get together is the weekend of April 24th.

...JP

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 06:24:02 pm »
will try to make it there.i will get the address from you later.i did the splits the other day.looks good, the girls are flying in and out of the hives. will go to the farm tomorrow and check the 4 hives there . hope to splite them too.                                                                                                                                                                                                      bruce
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 06:33:23 pm »

...JP

Yeah, but - what time?
be happy and make others happy.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 09:19:14 pm »

...JP

Yeah, but - what time?

3:59:27 not a minute later!  :-D

...JP

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2010, 09:39:18 pm »
lol.
be happy and make others happy.