Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Oct swarm  (Read 1814 times)

Offline skatesailor

• House Bee
Oct swarm
« on: October 21, 2012, 03:42:51 pm »
Reduced my hives down and set up for winter a couple of weeks ago. Everything looked good and settled. I was cleaning up the barnyard for a nice winter's nap today with winds gusting to 20 mph. Next thing I knew I was in a cloud of bees that were having a tough time holding the swarm together. Eventually a large softball sized swarm settled and was hived. I probably will do a pinch and combine this week but was wondering if anybody else has had this late of a swarm or an explanation. Goldenrod has been dead for about 2 weeks here.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Oct swarm
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 05:50:52 pm »
Make sure you do not have an empty hive somewhere. 

Offline skatesailor

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 06:25:56 pm »
Checked all my hives and didn't see any abnormal behavior.  That sized swarm wouldn't be so evident in a full hive so I probably missed it. In 50+ yrs of beekeeping though I never had this happen.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 06:48:06 pm »
Swarm in July, let them fly.   What is a swarm in October worth?

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 09:39:11 pm »
down here i have gotten swarms in november.  i hive them and feed them.  they do good down here but our winters are very mild.
bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 11:34:22 pm »
supersedure queen went on mating flight and a handful of workers got confused.  we called the "pop up" swarms way back when. 

Offline Maryland Beekeeper

• House Bee
  • Nature does nothing uselessly. Aristotle
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 03:45:42 pm »
Very interesting that you have experienced the latest swarm in 50 yrs. Glad you shared that news.
Cheers,
Drew