Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: fire ants  (Read 3496 times)

Offline JRS

• House Bee
fire ants
« on: January 28, 2007, 08:19:24 pm »
I was wondering how some of the other southern based beekeepers protect hives from fire ants.
The only stupid question is the question unasked,thanx for the help.

Offline imabkpr

• House Bee
Re: fire ants
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 09:27:04 pm »
I was wondering how some of the other southern based beekeepers protect hives from fire ants.

newcomber; For fire ant mounds i use ortho, orthene fire ant killer.Its a powder so the bees dont seem to want to collect it thinking its pollen. You only have to use about 3/4 tbl per mound, with no watering it in. On small mounds I use less. you can buy it at ace hardware. It works very well for me. On other ants I use a product called safer Roach & Ant killing powder. Also works very well.   Charlie

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 10:46:59 pm »
Cinnamon spread around the base of the hive.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline JRS

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 08:04:39 pm »
will the ortho work around the hive? cinnamon, huh, thats interesting  thanks

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 08:07:47 pm »
I use guardstar from dadant and sons.

Offline JRS

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 08:53:56 pm »
ok thanks fire ants are horrible here in louisiana last year took a colony out of a wall and hived them we got a little hunny spill outside and the ants ddestroyed the hive and the bees picked up and left

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 09:39:03 pm »
ants can wreak havoc, but its really not JUST invasive fire ants, Theirs also other ants too, and their aren't just fire ants in Southern states, they are just cause they are more noticeable, the size of the mature mounds you usualy cant miss, but keep in mind their are hundred species of ants that sting in the USA, but not all ants sting. Fire ants just have a more powerful sting. Just want to get that out of the way now, all adult ants (the ones you see out and about) need something sugary in their diet. Honey just is a perfect source. Some people stick their hive stands in coffee cans full of oil, some sprinkle cinnamon around the  base of the hive like mentioned. Insecticides work just as well too.

theirs lots of remedies to ants if they are bothering you and you don't have to kill them. Unless they are in you're house, but don't go around saying you have Carpenter ants unless you are 100 percent on the species!
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline imabkpr

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 10:51:59 pm »
will the ortho work around the hive? cinnamon, huh, thats interesting  thanks

newcomber;  Yes ortho will work around the hive for fire ants.  Charlie

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 01:10:10 am »
The best luck I've had in south Georgia and here, since they arrived, is Amdro.  The bait works great when used per directions.  I have had 100% dead mounds.  Though I've not used that particular Ortho product, everything else only caused the fire ants to move.  I used cinnamon, not Saigon Cinnamon, and it's been a great repellant.  I've also wiped a film of FGMO with my finger around the hive and it lasts longer except during heavy rains.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 11:03:38 pm »
I have had bees abscond here in L A from ants.So I'm careful not to spill I usre grape jelly or peanut butter mixed with Boraic acid cover it up with a board or card board the ants take it home feed the queen ant CURTAINS
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon