Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fall Garden  (Read 5543 times)

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
Fall Garden
« on: September 11, 2008, 02:04:00 pm »
Anyone here plant a fall garden?

This is my first time other than overwintering garlic, flower bulbs, and trees. On saturday I planted carrots, chives, mesculin, lettuce, spinach, radishes, and beets. We've had beautiful weather so far and as of last night in 4 days pretty much everything has sprouted up. I'm going to have to thin soon. This is really encouraging as I didn't get a garden in this summer due to being gone several months with the Army. I can't wait. Hope I have enough time. I should.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Re: Fall Garden
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 05:05:17 pm »
you can definitely eat the lettuces no matter their size.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Inquisitive

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 01:18:14 am »
I am inspired to do so.  Just finished reading "Four-Season Harvest" by Eliot Coleman and I am enthused.  I can put onion bulbs & garlic cloves into the ground tomorrow, but I'll have to look around for some chard, parsley, peas and turnip seeds.  Thanks for bringing up this topic.  Keep us posted, please!  :)  The book also said dandelion and mizuna would be good to plant now, but I'm not familiar with eating them.

Offline HomeBru

• House Bee
    • Drew Family Farms
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 09:26:01 pm »
I started Kale and Broccoli early september and we're eating off of them now! We had a light freeze and the kale especially turned super sweet! We have carrots in the ground to overwinter and a lot of cabbage to finish off. Just waiting for the time to put a batch of 'kraut up.

I plant lettuce as soon as the ground's soft in the pring and my last planting two weeks ago is about the size of a cat's ear, perfect for baby mesclun salad! We'll be eating off of that until the frost kills it off.

I'd like to try some of Coleman's ideas for tunnels, but I'll wait for a while.

J-

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 10:14:27 pm »
I have some turnips mustard cabbage and I can't spell that other thing.
and some spinach.
doak

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 08:49:14 am »
I plant a HUGE turnip, mustard, and rutabaga patch every year and open it to the public. I make a lot of friends. They should be ready around November 1st.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 09:29:17 am »
I just harvested some lettuces I planted not to long ago. This was my first fall harvest and I was amazed how similar it was to real salad. The only thing is, it would have tasted better if I'd let it grew a little bigger and refrigerated it first. 

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 02:10:21 pm »
I don't plant a lot for the fall, but yeah, the garlic has to go in really soon.

I still have a bunch of potatoes to dig up.  My tomatoes are still producing, and it is fall.

I did plant a row of peas in August, and they are ready now, that is really nice this time of year.

Rick
Rick

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 06:34:00 pm »
So, I planted on Sept 6th and have been harvesting radishes so far. Lettuce and spinach and mesculin are coming up but not big yet. We had a couple hard freezes this weekend and our first snows. I'll have to go and check it to see if anything has survived.

My garlic was shipped last week so I'm planning on putting it in the ground this week.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 10:44:29 am »
Many vegetables become much more sweet after a frost.  There is a chemical action that takes place within the plant and it sweetens the fruit of that plant.  Brussels sprouts are one that mostly comes to mind, I think parsnips go along with that, many of the veggies that mature in late fall, beauty!!!  Have that most awesomely wonderful and great day, life is good.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 02:19:40 pm »
still have some lettuce, mesculin, and spinch holding tight. I pulled up all the radishes, but am leaving the carrots to enjoy themselves as long as they can. Been beautiful weather here.

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 07:31:47 pm »
Sounds good but remember carrots are only edible the first year. Second year carrots become to hard and woody to eat and this is also when they bloom.

anything