Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How long will brood & Eggs survive without nurse bees?  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
How long will brood & Eggs survive without nurse bees?
« on: January 04, 2013, 10:27:06 pm »
Hi All...I have two trap outs scheduled for either this weekend, or next.  I will (reluctantly) be removing a frame of eggs & brood from two of my hives for the trap.  It was my intent to shake the bees before I leave, but am concerned how long the eggs and brood will survive without nurse bees.   I also don't want to see my Nurse bees at war with the now trapped out bees.  Both traps are very close to each other, but some distance from my home.  I know the first trap will take a couple hours to begin, and more than that for the second.   (It may be 6 hours outside of the hive before I get the second trap started).  How long can I expect the brood & eggs to remain viable?  Thanks to any an all! 

I am also contemplating starting the traps with some drawn comb, then returning a couple days later to add brood & eggs, but not too sure about that idea either!  I like swarms SO much better....

Thanks for any and all input!!! 

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
Looks like I found my own answer with a bit of extra work...so for anyone else who might be curious....

https://kelleybees.com/blog/2012/06/im-using-the-swarm-harvester-on-an-out-building-and-i-want-to-get-the-queen-out-how-long-will-the-brood-last-without-bees-attending-to-them/#more-670

I believe at this point, I will follow Cleo's advice, and allow the majority of the population to be trapped out and (hopefully) using the drawn comb, then add the brood and eggs...???   :idunno:

Other opinions are always welcomed!  FYI...We will be in the low to mid 80's with no cold fronts in site for at least the next 12 days, and we do have a small, but present population of drones.  Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 02:32:11 am by Bees In Miami »

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: How long will brood & Eggs survive without nurse bees?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 04:27:19 am »
I was going to say “not long”. :(  But I didn’t have a quantitative number in mind.  Thanks for the link; that was interesting. 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: How long will brood & Eggs survive without nurse bees?
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 01:25:08 pm »
>I will follow Cleo's advice, and allow the majority of the population to be trapped out and (hopefully) using the drawn comb, then add the brood and eggs...

I think that's the best plan.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything