Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Pasadena, CA  (Read 2474 times)

Offline DanBusby

• Brood
    • Busby Ward Museum of Art
Hello from Pasadena, CA
« on: January 06, 2008, 02:21:15 pm »
Hello,

I'm a complete newbie, looking to get into beekeeping.  I've read a few books on the subject and I'm ready to start a new hive soon.  I'm trying to read as much as possible to prevent making preventable mistakes.

For my day job, I work at a small start-up making fuel cells.  The work is interesting, but time-consuming.  On top of that I've got a handful of other hobbies that keep me busy.  I'm going into the beekeeping hobby with a friend of mine, so we're hoping to spread out the time commitment.

If you have any suggestions for a newbie in Southern California, please pass them on.

Thanks,
Dan

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Hello from Pasadena, CA
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 02:44:09 pm »
Welcome Dan, You will find advice and answers here. Beekeeping of otherwise.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 11:28:50 pm »
Start here.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesnewbees.htm

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 12:07:25 am »
Dan,
Jump in ,the waters great!!
Actually welcome to the forum!! Beekeeping is a fun but sometimes challenging hobby!!
If you're looking to take your mind off of your work,this is a great way.
Hope you have fun sharing your newfound hobby with a friend.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 10:55:04 am »
Dan, yep, welcome.  This is a pass time that will have you hoppin', you're gonna love beekeeping and will become an addict, like most of us.  The honeybees will take you into their world, bit by bit.  The more you get to know them, the more you will want to get to know them.  You have found the right place to get the best answers to any questions that you may want to ask.  And remember....ask any question, all questions deserve attention -- this your questions will get.  Have a wonderful day, great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service