Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hot in Missouri  (Read 1494 times)

Offline wtiger

• House Bee
Hot in Missouri
« on: August 12, 2007, 10:31:09 pm »
Well it's been hot and dry here in Missouri so I started feeding the girls again.  They've been taking a quart a day of 1:1.  I figure it's plenty dry that they can easily evaporate it down the the proper moisture level.  I was just curious how hot is too hot for bees; because I noticed a small piece of comb that I had cut out month ago and jusst tossed on the ground about 10 feet in front of the hive; since it had nothing in it.  Today while I was filling the jars with sugar water it was melting in the sun.  That would imply that in direct sun it's about 130° F.  The air temprature is only about 100-101 though.  Would it be a good idea to give the girls some shade?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Hot in Missouri
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 10:47:21 pm »
If the hive is in more than 115 degrees I would move them in partial shade.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Jim H

• New Bee
Re: Hot in Missouri
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 11:09:54 pm »
I live about 100 miles south of you. Haven't had rain here in about a month or so and the temp was 104 today been in the hundred's last week and no change predicted for next week. Bought 2 25lb bags of sugar from Walmart today. Guess we're in the same boat :'(
Pray for rain.

Jim

anything