Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: California Structural Pest Control Act  (Read 1205 times)

Offline jpitz31

• New Bee
    • Hillside Bee Watch
California Structural Pest Control Act
« on: May 19, 2009, 11:20:08 pm »
Hello All,

I ran into a situation where I could get a swam of bees that had resided in an opening of a wall on a building.
I was told that I needed a license and liability insurance to remove the bees.

I did some digging out on the web and found the below document, Dated 2009.

do a web search for pestact.pdf

This document is the 2009 Structural Pest Control Act from the State of California.

Section 8555 (g) indicates that you do not need a license to remove live bees from a structure when not using pesticides. But it does indicate that you need $25,000 of liability insurance, as stated in section 8692.

I am checking with a local insurance company on what $25,000 of liability will run a year.

I use to have to carry $1,000,000 of liability insurance for around $800.00 a year.

Hopefully $25,000 will be much less.

Just a warning, If caught you can be fined $1000.00 and or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than six months.

For those of you who reside in California please be aware. For those of you in other states I would recommend you check your state laws regarding pest structural pest control.

Thanks

Joe

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
Re: California Structural Pest Control Act
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 12:11:13 pm »
Its sounds like an instrument to prevent bee keepers from collecting swarms and also preventing competition for pest control companies.

Regards,
Tucker
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: California Structural Pest Control Act
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 01:34:30 pm »
OH Dear!!  That is scary although I do not plan on doing any cutouts by myself, I do plan on helping as much as possible.

I would never purchase the insurance for the small amount of times I may do them, but certainly something to think about if beeks around here do more. I don't know how do they find out? Would someone have to sue for them to find out??? The homeowner???

JP ever have any homeowners suing you for doing cutouts??? Ever get fined for doing cutouts?? Perhaps the laws are different out there.