Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees in tree  (Read 4035 times)

Offline johnwm73

• House Bee
Bees in tree
« on: September 04, 2009, 10:10:10 am »
I was called to remove some bees that have made a home in a tree. It is located in a crack where a limb was probably removed and as the tree as grown has cracked enough to let them in. I can't see in to see comb or anything on the inside. My question for anyone is whether there is a away to remove the bees or is it a lost cause because I can't even see in to find them. I did smoke them and about 200 or so flew out. So I don't believe it is a big hive yet. The gentleman said it had been there only about a month.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: Bees in tree
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 10:16:52 am »
Only two ways to get them out that I know of, cut the tree open or do a trap out.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline johnwm73

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 10:30:06 am »
What is a trap out?

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 10:49:46 am »
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 03:59:12 pm »
Only two ways to get them out that I know of, cut the tree open or do a trap out.

G3

Only way to save the genetics of a colony in a tree is to do a cut out. If the hive has been there for a short period of time you may, and I emphasize may joust the bees out with bee quick or bee go, or honey robber. You "may" be lucky enough to get the queen to leave, but most likely not.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 11:52:16 pm »

G3

Only way to save the genetics of a colony in a tree is to do a cut out. If the hive has been there for a short period of time you may, and I emphasize may joust the bees out with bee quick or bee go, or honey robber. You "may" be lucky enough to get the queen to leave, but most likely not.

...JP

here is one in a tree I did today and got the queen :-)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 12:27:17 am by beee farmer »
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 01:04:35 am »

G3

...JP

here is one in a tree I did today and got the queen :-)

That's an external colony, on a tree, not in a tree. Great job.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 10:17:03 pm »
JP,
  Pretty good eye there for an amature :-D.. was a sweat heart of a removal.. the girls were testy as I pulled the first leaf of comb away and calmed right down for the rest of it.. had a vouyer crew that wouldnt stay away and not a single one of them even got buzzed.  It filled 8 frames with brood and more bees than a single deep would hold.
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com

Offline Chick

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 03:14:27 pm »
JP, That's a swarm, not a bee tree. Even if they have wild comb, you treat it just like a swarm. I just completed a trap out on a tree. Hopefully, I can get the pictures attached. )First one is the trap out, and the second is the bee tree.

Well, I got the pictures on there, but painfully! There are much easier ways to attach pictures. It doesn't matter anyway, because as I don't have enough posts, I don't have the "privilage" to post pictures. Just as well, i am not dealing with this headache to post a picture. Sorry. If you want to see it, email me and I will send the picture to you.

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 09:55:50 pm »
Trap outs you have to make a funnel from the tree to a hive body with at least one frame of brood and a few frames of food to attract them with. There are many different methods. Some people drill a hole in the back of the tree and force smoke into the hive and chase the bees out. Good luck.

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 11:20:35 am »
First, whoever removes the bees needs to find out 'who owns the property' that the tree is located on. The owner has the final say on what happens to the tree and the bees. Just because someone that lives in the house on the property tells you that they want the bees gone/removed, and that they live there....so it is their tree.....you need to find out for sure who owns the tree, as I have seen some pretty bad legal things happen after a tree was cut.

Secondly, find out if the tree is to be saved, or if it can be safely cut down; check the location of the power lines, etc. before any tree is cut. If you cut the tree and it falls on anything valuable, you will be the one paying for it. Also, keep bystanders, kids and pets away from the removal area. Also, make sure that it is understood before the tree or any limbs ar cut, as to who is responsible for the removal of cut tree and brush; you do not want to get stuck with the cost of taking the tree to a waste site....it happens.

I do not mean to sound like a Philly lawyer, but you do learn things from experience....you need to cover your own behind when doing removals of any sort. Better safe than sorry.

Another thing to ponder before doing a cut out, is finding out if there might be some nails, staples or wire that has been attched to the tree and the tree has grown bark over the metal. A lot of folks like to use nails, staples, chains, etc. in the trees to either repair them, or to attach other things. It is not good to hit any metal in a tree with your chainsaw. It can turn a tiny piece of metal into a bullet with deadly results.

I seen a lot of freak accidents this year invovling bees and trees...not to mention the public who gets in the way.

Brenda

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 11:27:08 am »
chick, when you have enough posts, posting pictures is easy.... if you have high speed internet.  if you don't, it will be a PIA. 

until you have enough posts, you can ask a moderator to post your pics.

Rebel Rose, you are so right.  i make sure i am dealing with the owner on all cutouts.  very often it's a renter that calls and the owner has to be tracked down.  some of the outbuildings are the same.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 06:18:33 pm »
Unless they saw them move in, I don't believe anyone's estimate of how long they have been there.  People often think they just moved in because they just noticed them, while they may have been there for decades or days.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything