Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive inspection pictures  (Read 2530 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Hive inspection pictures
« on: August 04, 2013, 01:43:25 pm »
As far as the bees go there were a lot more (no comb) in the other 8 frame deep (foundation).

This is probably a fair sample. In a previous thread you can see the queen cell. Yes to queen, small larva, and different brood stages.

Most of the frames looked like this

A couple of sides like these two

When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
Re: Hive inspection pictures
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 01:56:32 pm »
the bottom picture has a good bit of clear nectar and i see the queen too.  for a two month old hive started on foundation after the best flows were over i don't think that looks too bad (especially considering the weather since then).
if they haven't started drawing new comb pretty soon i'd crowd them down to that bottom hive body.  if beetles are going to take over it's going to most likely happen in the next 60 days.  there is no point in making the bees defend empty space.
your main goal needs to be getting this hive through til march of next year.  if you have a good strong hive in march and the weather cooperates more you won't have any problem getting that next hive body and several mediums drawn out and filled by this time next year.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 02:40:17 pm »
GSF, are you using plactic foundation? I know lots of prople are with success. In my experience it just didn't work as quickly as wax. I know someone is going to slam me for that. My bees built comb every where but the foundation.
Later,
Ray

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 03:55:30 pm »
Yes they are plastic. They seem to have taken to it pretty good - at first. It's just when I added the second box they ignored it. I did have the new brood box on the bottom but now I have it on the top. I was really hoping that I could have two well established brood boxes before winter. Then again from what yall've told me it may not be necessary.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 05:06:10 pm »
What ever, but feed to the hive 3 kg sugar.
Honey store is practically zero.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 05:36:10 pm »
Thanks, I noticed the lack of nectar but not having any experience to draw on I wasn't sure how much it mattered at this time of year.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 05:53:33 pm »
What ever, but feed to the hive 3 kg sugar.
Honey store is practically zero.

You don't hear finski say that very often.

Offline Wolfer

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 11:57:51 pm »
They look pretty good to me but Finskis right, those bees need some groceries very soon!

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 12:50:39 am »
but not having any experience to draw.

Hive is very near starving out.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 09:12:36 am »
10framer - I agree, if Finski says feed it must be serious.

Not knowing any better I thought that they could eat either/or pollen or nectar. We still have about 3 months before the first frost and the fall blooming hasn't started yet.

Thanks again everyone.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 01:32:58 pm »
GSF,
Bees use pollen to feed their young. Not to survive on during the winter. They store it in the fall to have it to start feeding the young in the spring build up before the pollen can be brought in and feed any young raised during the winter (hopefully not large quantities). They need honey stored up in the brood boxes to make it through the winter.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 01:13:32 am »
10framer - I agree, if Finski says feed it must be serious.

Not knowing any better I thought that they could eat either/or pollen or nectar. We still have about 3 months before the first frost and the fall blooming hasn't started yet.

Thanks again everyone.

some of my hives were looking like that a week or so ago.  i've got a little flow on right now.  if this aren't looking up in a few weeks i'm going to feed the questionable hives for a couple of weeks.