Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ubuntu 9.04 is out.  (Read 4822 times)

Offline DennisD

• House Bee
  • Catchin' the latest buzz
Ubuntu 9.04 is out.
« on: May 14, 2009, 05:09:14 pm »
I was surprised to see this wasn't mentioned. But for all you linux lovers like myself, Ubuntu 9.04 has been released. I did the upgrade to my boxes, I really like it, so much so that I put it on my mothers box, she was grateful, she gets nuked so often with spyware and such with windows and just lacks in the preventive maint understanding.

For those of you who have wanted to make the switch to linux, this is an excellent time, with so many great distros to choose from, it is so easy now as well.

As always, it's free. (And reliable) Ubuntu

Thought I would post it up. Come and get it!

Offline skflyfish

• House Bee
Re: Ubuntu 9.04 is out.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 06:01:13 pm »
Isn't Ubuntu wonderful. And fast. And stable. And free.

After 25 years of suffering with Windbloz and making Mr Gates a billionaire in the process, I gave up on the Vista virus version of Winbloz last September. I just wish I had done it sooner.

Open Office works like M$ Word should have and still doesn't. My only hang ups are IBM applications that are written specifically for Winbloz, that makes me run XP in a VM. You would think that after donating 1 billion to the Linux cause IBM would re-write apps for Linux. Sometimes they make as little sense as M$.

Jay

bigbearomaha

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 12:52:51 am »
Ubuntu is a good distro.

I am a network admin at a local school here in Omaha, NE.  I Use a variety of distros on the student/staff desktops and then there are the servers.

If I can be of any help to folks using or wanting to use Linux in this forum, let me know.

Distros I use:

Debian 5(Lenny)
openSUSE
Ubuntu
PCLinuxOS
Sidux

I also run a non profit project to help small businesses, schools and non-profits adopt Linux/FOSS at belproject.org. there is a wiki, a user forum, the main site and much more for folks to get help using Linux.  all for free.

Big Bear

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 09:14:35 am »
What no RedHat?

I just loaded Ubuntu on my wife's laptop after getting fed up with Vista.    What a simple, smooth process.   It was great to boot it right of the CD and verify that the wireless and all worked before doing the install.

Thanks for the gracious offer to help, I'll keep that in mind next time I get myself in deep...

rob...
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 10:41:05 am »
I installed Ubuntu (in a dual boot config) about a month ago, and the only reason that I've continued to boot back into XP every once in a while is that I haven't had  taken the time to figure out why my camera isn't accessible from Ubuntu. 

To anyone thinking about getting off of the MS cash drain express but experiencing anxiety about the prospect I can attest that doing it is pretty easy - not rank beginner easy, but no worse than upgrading windows has often been.

If I were just getting started in computing now (instead of back in '87)  I would use linux from the get go.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

bigbearomaha

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 12:15:26 pm »
CentOS essentially is RedHat.  just without all the branding.  But it is made from the same source code.

best of all, it's free.  heh heh

Big Bear

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 12:21:41 pm »
Yup,  I have been using CentOS on my server for a few years now...
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Yappy

• House Bee
  • "Your darnest Questions, get the best Advice"
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 09:11:50 pm »
Hi Dennis about, >>I did the upgrade to my boxes, I really like it, so much so that I put it on my mothers box, she was grateful, she gets nuked so often with spyware and such with windows and just lacks in the preventive maint understanding.<< ?  I am 2 - Booting, 32BIT XP Pro and  Win 7 64 bit RC for four months, kept xp because
some old 32 bit apps I have don't like 64 bit!
Would it be ok to 3- Boot with Ubuntu 9.04 ?
How about that >>just lacks in the preventive maint understanding.<< ?
... Rob

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 12:42:28 am »
I like Fedora myself.