Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: swarm trap has been colonized  (Read 2277 times)

Offline epaul3377

• New Bee
swarm trap has been colonized
« on: July 09, 2011, 02:17:05 am »
I have a wild hive that lives in the wall of my woodshed and has for years.  This year i was determined to catch the swarm, as they swarm most every year.  I put out two swarm traps with attractant.  I sprayed them with sugar water and watched the hive in the wall.  The bees kept checking out the swarm traps, and one day they swarmed, I was home, watched it, very beautiful sight.  It was my 3rd swarm from the hive that I have seen, and a very large swarm.  They swarmed to one of the traps, I caught them and placed them in a hive.  The other trap never got a swarm but rather just a few bees, now it is a full on colony and the trap weighs about 15 to 20 lbs and is very active.  What do i do now?  How do I get them out of the swarm trap and into a hive?  The trap is a fiber pot with a hole in the end hanging from the corner of a shed.  By the way the swarm i trapped is doing very well.  I'm new to all this bee keeping.  I purchased a colony, caught a swarm, and now have this other thing hanging from the shed. 

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
Re: swarm trap has been colonized
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 10:47:53 am »
Epaul
Welcome to the Club and congratulations on your catch
I think you should make your announcement here on the general page, you will
get a lot of help on what to do from the trap to the hive
You may also want to watch some of the videos on the
HONEYBEE REMOVAL page on the very top of the one I am posting for you
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/board,2.0.html
Your on your way to a bunch of fun and great hobby