Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pre season working!  (Read 951 times)

Offline Sniper338

• House Bee
Pre season working!
« on: January 28, 2017, 04:08:49 pm »
My wife and I attended a free weekly class today, topic was bee swarming and control.  It was pretty interesting.  I knew a lot, but learned a lot too!

Then we bought a bunch more gear while we were there..  packs of frames, another hive, supers, etc etc etc...

I bought two extra deep supers to experiment with and turn into swarm traps.  Gonna put a bottom on them and removable top..  hole in the side...  see if i can start catching some bees.  Word on the street with other bee keepers was swarming is about to start, one guy already caught one swarm this month on one of the warmer sunny days..

Got home and put it all together with the wife.  Still need some more gear, but we are building up supplies to be ready for bees this spring!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Pre season working!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 04:31:04 pm »
Sounds like a good plan. One change I would make. When putting the bottom on the traps, I would put 3/8 in. strips around the bottom except for about 2 inches for an entrance. Then the box could be used for a hive after a swarm moves in, rather than having a hole in the side.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Sniper338

• House Bee
Re: Pre season working!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 11:22:03 pm »
Good call.  I had another idea, but this will be easier..