Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Caged queen from a cutout  (Read 3217 times)

Offline howardaj31

• New Bee
Caged queen from a cutout
« on: April 11, 2012, 08:28:36 am »
Just did my first cutout yesterday for a friend.  Big success, queen caught.  How long should I keep her in the cage before releasing her?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Caged queen from a cutout
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 08:41:48 am »
I usually keep them caged for 2 days.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 10:57:08 am »
same here 2 days .     schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline RandyMM

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 11:05:46 am »
I would ask Kenneth and see what he says. :mrgreen:

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 07:04:54 pm »
Why do you cage a queen any longer than necessary if she is from that colony?   I always release her as soon as I'm done with the cut-out and have never lost a queen.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 10:16:59 pm »
I do the same as Robo - never had an issue.... curious as to the two day cageing as well!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 10:32:13 pm »
I persoally have had several cut outs abscond the next day without caging her. I don't know if it's the stress we put them through or what but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 10:40:26 pm »
OK,  absconding seems to be a much bigger issue in the south than up here in the north.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 11:53:06 pm »
I am with Scott. Better to lose a couple days of egg laying than to lose all the time and effort invested into the cut out.  Let them repair and settle into the new home, then let her out.  Works well for me too.

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 12:14:14 am »
down here its a good thing to cage her.absconding is somewhat of  a problem down south.
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline howardaj31

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 09:00:34 am »
Thank you all!  I will be releasing her this morning.  @ Randy, Kenneth has applied his professional seal of approval.  Good news is, there were some hive beetles in this hive.  While cutting out, we tried to avoid putting much of the affected comb into frames.  Yesterday afternoon, the bees were hauling several beetles out of their new home.  They are quite amazing creatures!

anything