Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How to build up weak hive from split, to survive winter  (Read 1396 times)

Offline HeatherM

• New Bee
How to build up weak hive from split, to survive winter
« on: August 07, 2012, 01:03:24 pm »
We split a hive in May (it had wintered very well, and was growing very quickly in the mild spring).  The new hive had made a new queen by late June and she seems to have been laying okay.  But the new hive is still weak, probably due to robbing from the original hive, an infestation with wax moths, and the lower abundance of flowers around due to the drought.  Yesterday we moved one frame of honey and one frame of bees/brood from the original hive into the weak new hive. 

I doubt we'll get any honey from the new hive this year, so at this point we just want to make sure they're strong enough to make it through the winter.  What is the best way to help them build up so they can make it through the winter?

Thanks!

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: How to build up weak hive from split, to survive winter
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 01:20:37 pm »
I would start planning how to insulate your hive! 

I've gotten 3 deep frames worth of bees through winter with insulation.  Less than 3 and you may have to resort to electricity  :-D

I would be a little cautious about feeding this time of year.  We have moderate drought conditions in Michigan too, but I'm not feeding until fall (if necessary).  You don't want them to back fill the brood nest and have no place left to raise the winter bees.  Without a batch of winter bees, the hive will be history.