Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: drive time  (Read 3080 times)

Offline lee

• House Bee
    • http://budsbees.com
drive time
« on: January 04, 2006, 08:13:54 pm »
how far would you drive to take care of your bees. if you had to put them on someones land. would you drive 50, 60, even 70 miles. one way. :?:

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
drive time
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 09:28:19 pm »
I have a yard about 60 miles away.  If it weren't a good excuse to see some good friends I wouldn't do it.  I still don't take very good care of it.  Shoot for four miles from your house.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline downunder

• House Bee
drive time
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 02:39:17 am »
I have 3 sites over 200 miles away and go to them every 2-3 weeks, Australia is a big place, many people do that here. If it's a hobby and you have to do other work, then close to home is best.

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
drive time
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 11:58:44 am »
I'm starting a yard that is over 100 miles away this year.  I've been trading a fellow honey for elk meat, and he wants some bees on his place "to see how they will do"  Looks to me like they will do well, pasture with irrigation ditches and weeds growing everywhere.  A couple untended alfalfa fields that are spotty and overgrown.  Should be able to make some honey and may improve my trade deficit!!  The bees know what to do without my help most of the time, so I'm more concerned about the bears in the nearby Natl Forest.  

Since I will going that way, I may be able to buy Sgt Tom a cup of coffee one of these days.

Offline lee

• House Bee
    • http://budsbees.com
drive time
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 12:36:28 am »
i have a good friend that is going to let me put 10 hives on his place. but he live about 80 miles one way. i will have to get a little car. and park the f-250 when i go there.  ha ha

Offline Ruben

• House Bee
drive time
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 10:10:01 pm »
Do you all travel that far to find good places that people will let you keep them or do you just like to take trips  :?:  :?

Offline newbee101

• House Bee
    • http://www.acmepainting.com
drive time
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 10:51:12 pm »
My second yard is about 12 miles north. I am thinking of moving it closer
to home. My time and gas are expensive these days.
"To bee or not to bee"

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
drive time
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 12:25:20 am »
I'm thinking of moving that direction when I retire in a few years, so it gives me a chance to look around.

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
drive time
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 04:30:33 am »
I have two areas to work with this year.  One is about 10 miles away and the other is 5 miles away.  I still plan on adding at least one more in my backyard with the feral hive I got last July and they are about fifteen feet from my back door.  I will possibly start with the 10 mile first since they asked me and I approached the closer one later for 2007 (though they wanted them this year).  I did tell them I may have one nuc this summer.  They have nut and fruit groves in both yards.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

anything