Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive in a jar super  (Read 7858 times)

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Hive in a jar super
« on: January 19, 2008, 09:19:02 pm »
Today was a sloppy, rainy, and cold day in Georgia. I spent the afternoon with my mentor building hive in a jar supers. Ever since I saw the thread and links on the hive in a jar, I wanted to try it. We built a couple of dedicated supers that will hold 12 large mouth jars. The mouth opening is the same on a pint and quart, so it will work for both. I can't wait until spring so I can place it on a hive.

Anyone else tried this? Anything special that I need to know about?

Steve

http://www.aulaapicolazuqueca.com/concurso%202007%20indice.htm

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Hive in a jar super
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 09:55:57 pm »
Make sure they are not in the sun.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline super dave

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 10:00:25 pm »
thats coooool-- do you put an empty  box with a lid on it to keep out the light
lets throw it in the air and see which  way it splatters

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 10:38:59 am »
The jars are inside of a super. It has a cover that can be lifted for inspection. When installed on a hive, it looks like a deep hive body. The only access the bees have will be through the jars. I will post some pictures when I get it completely finished.

Michael, based on the above additional information, will it still need to be in the shade? or not in the sun?

Steve   
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 12:29:06 pm »
>Michael, based on the above additional information, will it still need to be in the shade? or not in the sun?

I couldn't say.  The bees can't easily cool the "attic space" in the box, but they can cool the space in the jars.  But I did mean keeping the sun directly off the jars.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 03:10:26 pm »
How does one get honey out the jar?

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 03:29:21 pm »
I guess the same way you get cut comb honey out of the jar.......with a fork?

After the bees build the comb and cap the honey, the jars are removed and filled with extracted honey. It is just a different way to harvest comb honey. It may not be the best way, but it sure makes interesting  conversation and possibly good sales at the fair.

The comb and honey was placed there by the bees and untouched by human hands.....and the story continues.

Steve

Offline Kimbrell

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 07:44:00 pm »
This method of producing honey fascinates me.  My partner and I are going to try it this year.  I wonder if the super holding the jars should be the only super on the hive.  Or is there a specific place for it? (Should it be the top or bottom super?)  The only plans I have seen for this have all been in a language I can't read.  Does anyone know where I can find instructions in English?

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 08:09:04 pm »
It must be on the top. I plan to make mine the only super on the hive. When they fill it, I will either replace the jars or place regular honey supers on the hive.  Having never tried this before, I hope that it works as well as the pictures show.

Steve

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 09:37:54 pm »
I'm doing the same thing, making a super that will hold 12 pint jars.  I plan to pout a little melted wax into the bottom of each jar and let it solidify before turning it upside down and placing it in the holes that hold the jars.  That way the bees will be able to use the wax film as a starting point when drawing comb.  Since most jar bottoms a convex when upright the wax film doesn't have to cover the entire bottom, just pool along the outside (lowest point) of the bottom.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 09:51:17 pm »
Brian, I was torn between pints or quarts. Do you think pints would give enough room for decent comb? I guess so or you would not be using them. I like the wax coating idea. Have you tried this before?

Steve

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 11:03:49 pm »
Brian, I was torn between pints or quarts. Do you think pints would give enough room for decent comb? I guess so or you would not be using them. I like the wax coating idea. Have you tried this before?

Steve

The pints were opted for because it is a more saleable size, also in a 10 frame hive you can probably fit 16 to 20 instead of 12 as in a 8 frame hive.  I have 8 frame hives.  I plan on freezing the pint jars (easier and quicker) in a chest freezer to kill any "bugs" then fill the space between the combs with crush & strain.  Each jar will contain a unique design of comb.  Since the comb is made inside the jar you shouldn't get any questions about "is it pure or raw honey."  Yes I did this back in high school, Bees were my FFA project and one of the goals of my project was to determine the most saleable product--guess which form of honey packaging won.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 11:28:39 pm »
Is it better to sit them over an excluder?
How do you get the bees to leave?
How much more per pound would you charge?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 11:52:27 pm »
Is it better to sit them over an excluder?

No, that just prevents or discourages the bees from working the jars.

How do you get the bees to leave?

Place a triangle bee escape below the jars.

How much more per pound would you charge?

$8-10 maybe even $12, after all it's all natural and unique.

Offline Flygirl

• House Bee
  • ~ It's never to late to have a happy childhood ~
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 01:57:37 am »
Here's a link to a cool site that has pictures.  I had a little difficulty picturing this (I'm a new~bee) so this site has some interesting pictures & explainations.  It got me excited about sharing this with others in my neighborhood, schools, etc.

Thanks for the post on this ~ I enjoyed it!  FG

//outdoorplace.org/beekeeping/
~ It's never too late to have a happy childhood ~

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 10:43:15 pm »
Besides the pictures already posted does anyone have pictures or their own hive in a jar?

Offline jimmyo

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 10:07:37 am »
I think I see a queen excluder in one of the photos.  You can see it through the jar.  Are they using starter strips?

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 02:40:34 pm »
Michael,

It gets extremely hott here in SE Colorado. IS the attic space heat going to be a problem? Is there a way to cool the area? Should the hive just be placed into total shade to help? I would really like this to work. The other beek here was asked to come back to the county fair and asked to stay all week because everyone thought it was "cool." He sold out of all his honey he took last year in 3 days, thats all he stayed. I thought beside having the observation "hive there to have the hive in the jar." It is the look of the product that really make the sell.

Offline hardtime

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2008, 03:56:20 pm »
 hey i was thinkin  take some melted wax put it in bottom of jar  stick in starter strip  wax hardens starter strip hangs down in middle of jar .will this work?
your frend   hardtime

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2008, 04:00:26 pm »
The bees will build the comb with or without starter strips.  Why not be lazy and skip them?
-------------------