Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Might be moving!  (Read 1860 times)

Offline meade kampe

• House Bee
Might be moving!
« on: May 21, 2011, 07:17:58 pm »
Well, I've seen this discussed here and there, but never paid it much attention.  I never thought I'd be moving until I retired, but now I might not only be moving, but moving to a different state!  I am actually very excited, but have no idea when or how to move my hives!  Help!  thank-you :?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Might be moving!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 07:51:28 pm »
How many hives?
What time of year?
To what state?
Are you a one only, or do you have help. How many beeks?

Then we can help.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline meade kampe

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 08:31:02 pm »
Sorry!  Its just my husband and me, and we are only in our 2nd year of beekeeping.  There are only 2 hives.  We may be moving from OH to TN this summer.  However, if its better to move bees during a different season, I will definately make arrangements to return for them and just have my dad or brothers care for them in the meantime.  Thanks!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 08:44:48 pm »
If you have screened bottom boards just button up the hives and move them.  If youo're using solid bottom boards cover the entrance with a screen and replace the inner cover with a moving/combining screen.  Moving from Ohio to Tennessee is child's play next to moving them from Southern California to North Dakota, which several commercial opporators do every year.

The main thing is to ensure they aren't buttoned up so tight they suffocate or die of heat build up within the hive.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline BrentX

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 08:52:56 pm »
I thought I might have to face this situation as well.  Moving bees from Ohio to Tennessee should be very easy, but I would think require a separate trip after other higher priority move issues are settled.

Move the bees once you a place ready for them.  After dark seal up the hive and get them to their new home the next day.  Don't let  them get overheated in the car.  Should be okay.

Offline meade kampe

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 08:57:37 pm »
Awesome, thanks!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 11:02:03 pm »
Brent has it right, but you should contact your ag. dept.

Tn. may require a health permit to bring them into the state.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 12:00:31 am »
Yep there is.  Here's the page from the AG dept.

http://www.tn.gov/agriculture/regulatory/apiary.html

Here's the link to the page concerning moving hives here.

http://www.tn.gov/agriculture/regulatory/movingbees.html
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

anything