Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Direct Release  (Read 1758 times)

Offline ctsoth

• House Bee
Direct Release
« on: April 16, 2006, 03:11:42 am »
I have read some posts that mention to just direct release the queen in a package of bees.  Does this mean pulling the candy plug out of the queen cage and letting the bees go to town?

Is this basically an accepted method for packages, or does it have a decently high chance of resulting in queen breakfast?

Thank you for your time...

Offline vabeeguy

• New Bee
Direct Release
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 09:19:27 am »
I've only set up 3 packages, all at different times, but I always replace the cork in the queen cage with a mimi marshmallow and the place it betwwen the frames marshmallow side up and the screens facing so the bees can feed her ...then I always wait a least 7 days before I check the hive and pull out the empty cage. So far all 3 packages have started off great like this.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Direct Release
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 10:26:54 am »
>Does this mean pulling the candy plug out of the queen cage and letting the bees go to town?

Some people pull the cork on the other end (without the candy) but I've had the best luck with a little spritz of water or light syrup (1 part sugar to 2 parts water or at least 1:1), pull the staples on the screen wire and fold the wire back while holding it aimed down at the cluster.  If she flies (which she might if you don't spritz her first) just stand there until you see her come back or wait ten minutes if you don't see her.  If you don't spritz her she might fly.

>Is this basically an accepted method for packages

Yes.

> or does it have a decently high chance of resulting in queen breakfast?

I never lost a queen doing this except when I didn't spritz her first and she flew away and I didn't know to wait for her to orient on me (the tallest nearby object, of course) and come back.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin