Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ever forget your passwords??  (Read 4151 times)

Offline Kev

• House Bee
Ever forget your passwords??
« on: December 06, 2007, 07:53:52 pm »
I've been using this nifty piece of software called Password Safe. It's a very secure (blowfish encrypted) database that allows you to store all your passwords for websites, e-mail, and other stuff in a single spot and use one master password to get to them. It even has a automatic secure password generator.

I love it, and best of all, it's free. So you can ditch all those little bits of paper with passwords written down on them.

You can find it at http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/

It even has a function that will allow you to run it off a Flash drive with no entry in the system registry.

thought y'all might enjoy.

kev
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Ever forget your passwords??
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 10:39:34 pm »
Another good one that I use is w3pw.

http://w3pw.sourceforge.net/

What I like about it is it is web based so I can always retrieve a password from any PC with a browser and don't have to worry about always carrying a USB stick.  Comes in handy when I'm at work, at a friends or traveling. 
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Galaxy

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 08:36:27 pm »
Password management software, such as RoboForm, is one of the best security tools that you can use.  It will also protect you from keystroke loggers, if used properly.  I have used one for many years.

Advantages include:

1. You will use more complex (stronger) passwords, since you do not have to remember them.  With one mouse click you can generate random, long, and complex passwords.

2. There is never a need to write down a password.

3. You can use a different password for each site.

4. Protection from keystroke loggers, since you do not type in passwords, except your master password.  If your concerned about you master password being captured, there are ways to prevent this also.

5. You can automatically fill forms.

I would not be without a pasword manager.

http://www.roboform.com/

Offline Clegs

• House Bee
  • Let the good times roll!
    • CalebGo.com - Gread dissusion forums, programmers, hobbiests, or just anyone
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 07:00:17 pm »
When talking about password managers, I use Password Maker.  It has a plugin for Mozilla based browsers so I can use it for Firefox, Songbird, and Flock.  You can also download it to any device plus theres a web version that does not send any of your data over the internet, but uses javascript.

It will take your master password, hash it with the domain of the site, and generate a secure password of random characters that is different for every site.  Leaving you only to need to remember one password, while giving each website a very secure unique password.
calebgo.com - My website

Offline HEATHERNAY

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 10:39:01 pm »
THAT WOULD BE A LIFE SAVER! I HAD TO MAKE A WHOLE NEW MYSPACE BECAUSE I FORGOT MY PASSWORD!  HAVE IT SENT TO MY EMAIL YOU SAY?....YEAH...FORGOT THAT PASSWORD A LONG TIME BEFORE THAT.......  THX FOR THE ADVICE!!!
HEATHER

Offline pcelar

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 11:54:33 am »
I use MacBook Pro. The program called Yojimbo by barebones.com can't be beat.