Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Where do bees carry propolis?  (Read 4381 times)

Offline TomP

• New Bee
Where do bees carry propolis?
« on: March 12, 2011, 12:22:17 pm »
In the topic "How do the bees remove the pollen from their baskets?" Michael Bush wrote: 
Interestingly a bee can  unload their own pollen, but they cannot unload their own propolis.  I've seen them spend quite an long time finding someone to unload them when they have a load of propolis.
which got me thinking: "Honey-stomach for nectar, pollen sacs on the legs for pollen, where do they carry the propolis?"  I realize I probably have the answer in one of the books in my library, but it is a lot more fun to ask on the forum than to actually go look it up.

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
Re: Where do bees carry propolis?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 12:28:39 pm »
pollen baskets

but i have a theory that through watching many cartoons they use buckets  :-D  hehehehe proof that TV rots the mind right there
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline Countryboy

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 12:14:41 am »
I have seen bees scavenge propolis and pack it in their pollen baskets.

They make propolis out of tree sap and other things they collect.  I suspect they bring the raw diluted ingredients back to the hive, and process it into the larger quantities we see.  It wouldn't surprise me if they carry the low concentrated sap propolis in their stomachs and regurgitate it like nectar.  They do use their tongues to paint propolis on stuff.

Offline TomP

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 10:06:33 am »
So it sounds like it is both the honey stomach (raw) and the pollen baskets (processed).  Makes sense to me- Thanks!

Hankdog1-  I do think there must be something about your theory, but I never have been able to find the little buckets.  Maybe it's a drone thing, because the cartoons usually have the drones doing the nectar gathering like a good little boy bee.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 09:55:29 pm »
Propolis ingredients are carried in the pollen sacs, it will often look reddish or dull brown.  Propolis ingredients, some of it being the sap of trees can be sticky so the bee needs help in cleaning his pollen sacs after hauling it.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 11:22:04 pm »

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 01:00:04 am »
Awesome picture deknow
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline TomP

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 01:42:46 pm »
Thanks for the clarification.  Pollen sacs carry the raw ingredients and scavenged propolis as well as pollen.  Honey stomachs are for nectar and honey.  Deknow, the picture of the pollen sac filled with sap is great!

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 10:51:23 pm »
Beautiful picture! I can't wait to be watching the girls again :)
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 11:49:20 pm »
Thanks for the clarification.  Pollen sacs carry the raw ingredients and scavenged propolis as well as pollen.  Honey stomachs are for nectar and honey.  Deknow, the picture of the pollen sac filled with sap is great!

Bee some times carrry water in the honey stomach

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

anything