Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hi from Vancouver Island, BC  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Tomc938

• New Bee
Hi from Vancouver Island, BC
« on: October 15, 2015, 04:25:08 pm »
I'm excited to join the board!

I have been interested in bees for many years, but things just haven't come together.  The previous two years the bees around here have had a hard time over the winter and nucs just weren't available.  This year I was busy in the spring and didn't check into the availability for nucs.  This fall I was talking to a beekeeper in our area and found out there were so many nucs  available they could hardly give them away!  What rotten timing. (for me)

So this winter I am busy building hive bodies and getting everything else ready for the spring.  And you can be sure I will be checking availability of nucs.

BTW:  I am very much interested in bees as a hobby.  Not looking to produce a surplus of honey, although that would be  a nice bonus.  Rather, I'm interested in helping out the bees, and increasing pollination in our garden and community.  The last few years our mature cherry and pear trees have only produced a few cherries and one pear.  There were lots of blooms, so I can only assume that they were not pollenated.

Looking forward to learning more so when spring arrives my bees have a fighting chance.   :grin:

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
Re: Hi from Vancouver Island, BC
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 06:01:02 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster!

Online cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 09:28:40 pm »
Welcome

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 12:46:09 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.
Fair warning, this hobby is very addictive. Make up some swarm traps and catch a couple of free hives. Do a search on swarm traps on this site on tips.
Good luck.
Jim
Add your location to preferences. A lot of aspects of beekeeping are very local and we can adjust our answers to your questions if we know your area.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin