Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hived My 1st Package & Have ?s Now  (Read 1324 times)

Offline bullybrink

• New Bee
Hived My 1st Package & Have ?s Now
« on: April 09, 2009, 10:50:25 pm »
I received my first package this morning and hived them this afternoon. This was my first time ever and I think it went really well. I now have some questions that I'm sure you all can help me with.

1. How important is it that the hive is level side to side?

2. How long is sugar water good for once made up?

3. Is it ok to have a brood builder patty and sugar water in the hive together?

4. How do you keep birds from eating your bees? I watched today and saw a bunch of birds near the hive that seemed to be eating some of the bees. :'(

5. How do you get your remainder frames in without squishing the bees once you have poured your package in? I found this pretty difficult since the bees were piled up so high in the bottom. I hope I didn't squish to many this evening.

Sorry for all the questions (and I am sure I will have more) but you guys are great help. :)

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
Re: Hived My 1st Package & Have ?s Now
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 10:59:11 pm »
I received my first package this morning and hived them this afternoon. This was my first time ever and I think it went really well. I now have some questions that I'm sure you all can help me with.

1. How important is it that the hive is level side to side?
--Important enough that you should try to make it level otherwise, the comb may not be straight.
2. How long is sugar water good for once made up?
--I have had it sit for more than a month
3. Is it ok to have a brood builder patty and sugar water in the hive together?
--Not sure since I have not used brood builder but it is probably fine.
4. How do you keep birds from eating your bees? I watched today and saw a bunch of birds near the hive that seemed to be eating some of the bees. :'(
--Wait till the dragon flies come out, that is real fun to watch.  They are probably not going to eat enough to make much of a impact.
5. How do you get your remainder frames in without squishing the bees once you have poured your package in? I found this pretty difficult since the bees were piled up so high in the bottom. I hope I didn't squish to many this evening.
--You will always squish some bees, just be careful not to squish the queen.
Sorry for all the questions (and I am sure I will have more) but you guys are great help. :)