Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Zentari BT (where to find)  (Read 6317 times)

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Zentari BT (where to find)
« on: February 13, 2008, 01:58:42 pm »
It will soon be wax moth season again. IF you use Certan save the shipping cost it may be sold close to you under the brand name Xentari. The strain of BT in Certan is used in many ag practices (vegatables etc.)

Sold as Xentari by the Valent company. Here is a link to a locator. Call the # you most likly will be connected to a rep and he/she will provide you with the location nearest to you. This is how I found the local ag store that sells it near me.

http://www.valent.com/distributors/WTB.asp?industry=2

People swear by it ,but actually mine is still in the sealed 1 lb package but I should have busted it open!!!!
John 3:16

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Zentari BT (where to find)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 02:23:57 pm »
And if you can't find it local, here is an online place that I dealt with.   Cheapest I could find at the time and the shipping was fast.
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=8351.0

The pound goes a long way.   Just make sure you keep it secure,  mice like to eat it :-\
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 07:54:33 pm »
Quote from: sc-bee

>(ROBO) I have no association with HID Hut, but just found that they have XenTari (1 lb) on sale for 24.99.  With shipping it came to $33.49 for me.  Your price might vary depending on shipping.  This price isn't bad considering the guy selling it on Beesource wants $41.50 for 1lb.

I paid $15 for a 1 lb package.

That's a good deal for you.   My only point was that I'm sure there are folks like me that live in a rural area where there is no local place to buy it.  In that case,  I thought I would share the cheapest place I found online.   Even at $35 lb it is still way cheaper than buying certan.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 10:45:25 pm »
I understand totally!!! I agree with you---shop around. I was surprised @ the price I found!

Got me thinking though---I thought twice about posting the price :-\ (unless asked) deleted the post w/ the price and somehow you pulled it back up. Is that an administrator function  :-D  But no offense taken ;)

Back on subject---has it worked for you (Robo). How much do you mix per gallon and how many frames approx. will a gallon cover?
John 3:16

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 08:44:01 am »
Got me thinking though---I thought twice about posting the price :-\ (unless asked) deleted the post w/ the price and somehow you pulled it back up. Is that an administrator function  :-D  But no offense taken ;)
I was subscribed to the post so as soon as you submitted it, it emailed me a copy.  You can delete a post, but you can't get back all the emails that where sent to subscribers.
Back on subject---has it worked for you (Robo). How much do you mix per gallon and how many frames approx. will a gallon cover?

Yes it has worked for me, I'm not sure of the amount I mix with a gallon.  I have it written down, but I think like 3 tsp. 

Coverage depends on your rate of application.  When I was using Certan,  I used a hand pump bottle and tried to stretch it to meet what they claimed for coverage because of the cost.  Now that I have the Xentari,  I use a gallon garden sprayer and am a lot more liberal with the dowsing.

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 07:46:56 pm »
Just purchased the BT from HidHut...

How is it applied?

I have just assembled 16 mediums with waxed wired...I am supposing I need to treat all wax with the BT??

Much Thanks

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 07:57:53 pm »
I have the exact mix recipie written down but off the top of my head it is 2tbls of powder to a gallon of water. mix and spray on wax and wood.

ps. 3 gallons did both sides of 140 frames plus some boxes.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 08:23:15 pm »
I have just assembled 16 mediums with waxed wired...I am supposing I need to treat all wax with the BT??

You don't need to treat foundation, the moths don't bother it.  They usually stick with used comb that has had brood/pollen in it.

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 08:28:36 pm »
OOOHHH I see...okay then...

Do you treat it when it is stored?  Right now mine are in the freezer...

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 09:26:37 pm »
Do you treat it when it is stored? 

Yup,  when you take drawn comb off the hives for storage, just give them a good spray and let then dry before storing.  I usually just stack the supers catty corner for a day or two to let the air move a little easier to dry before stacking them tight.  If you stack them tight after spray you may get some molding.

anything