Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Duranta Plants and Desert Roses  (Read 6609 times)

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
Duranta Plants and Desert Roses
« on: January 25, 2013, 05:09:50 am »
Hello folks,

Here are some questions for warm climate gardeners.  

I had to shift two beehives from one location in town because they were disturbing the neighbours by coming in the house during the day, then one of the neighbours got a sting.  I think one of the hives was stronger than I'd expected.  I can only guess why they were going into the house, but maybe they were chasing water in the heat.  Anyway, I was glad to move them because it wasn't a great location.   It's just that the lady bee-sitting them loved to have them there.  However, I have friends who are gardeners, and they have a much better area for the hives when they clear some space.  They had seen bees working duranta plants heavily, and as soon as they realised they were going to get bees, ordered some duranta in.  I didn't know till this morning they'd also ordered me some plants, so I've spent all day shifting clay out of a bed and replacing it with purchased topsoil.  The variety of duranta is Geisha Girl.  Has anyone seen bees working this plant?  How often does it flower?  Any other advice for growing it please?

My gardener friends specialize in desert roses, and have about 16000 plants.  They have had trouble getting the flowers pollinated, which is why they wanted bees.  The seeds just shrivel in the pods at the moment.  I personally have not seen a bee on the two desert roses I have.  He assures me I am just looking at the wrong time of day.  Does anyone know if bees will work these, or if perhaps some other insect usually pollinates them?

Lone

Offline kanga

• House Bee
Re: Duranta Plants and Desert Roses
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 07:20:54 am »
Lone

I did have a Duranta (Gelsha Girl) growing until recently (it was in the wrong place and eventually had to be removed) and I can't say I took a lot of notice but I think it always seem to have little purple flowers on it.

The bees were always around it and it also attracted butterflies.

Kevin

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
Re: Duranta Plants and Desert Roses
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 08:30:52 pm »
Kanga,
My plants have had a few flowers.  So far I've only seen solitary bees around them.

Lone

anything