Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: honey and bear hunting  (Read 5237 times)

Offline danno

• Super Bee
honey and bear hunting
« on: July 22, 2008, 03:11:25 pm »
A few years back before Ontario shut down the spring bear hunt, friends and i would go each year.  We bow hunted on establish baits set up by the guide.  Our tree stands were 10 - 15 yard from the baits.  Usually at least once a week the guide would come out after we were settled in to our stand, rebait makeing some wracket and then do a honey burn.  Many time just minutes after he would leave we would have bears come in.  The honey burn consisted of a small propane stove, a coffee can and a honey bear.  He would cook the honey that would steam away, blowing in the wind.  One afternoon he showed up at my bait and went through the richual.  I was directly down wind and the honey smelled sooooooo good.  After he had left my sweet tooth was getting the best of me so I took a honey bear out of my pack, popped the top off and gave it a good squeeze.  Well the top blew off and it hit me from my nose to my belt buckle. I had a large beard at that time.  I had no truck, (3 miles back in a 2 track) one bottle of water and a little rag. Although I didn't see any bears that day I really didn't want to. I had to sit there for 6 hours sticky hours, wondering if I smelled better than the bait station which was donuts and grease.  Oh this did make a great blackfly trap   
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 04:45:05 pm by danno »

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
Re: honey and bear hunting
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 05:28:43 pm »
What no pictures??? That would have been a great one. We were in alaska one time and lost track of time, had to hike back to camp from the river about 2 miles in the dark with ourselves smelling like fresh cut salmon. We had been catching salmon filleting them right there on the spot and sending them back to the camp in a raft. We did that all day long. That was about the most scared I have ever been. We did encounter a few on the trail home, but they kept their distance. The other guys were making noise and such while I prayer fervently!!
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 08:56:11 am »
Where in Alaska?   I lived on Kodiak Island from 1983 - 1988.  Lots of big bears there.  I have  a  8 1/2 footer  that now lives in my den.  So many times we would be walking along a river and come upon a LIVE half eaten salmon.  In 1987 I shot a nice buck way up a river so I tied a short log to his rack and through him in the river to float out the the boat.  I rounded a corner and there was a large sow dragging him out with 2 cubs sitting on shore.  Her gain/ my lose.

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 10:13:50 am »
Wow! I would love to see pics of the one that lives in your den. I dated a girl that lived on Kodiak Island back in 91 I think it was. I think that she was there from 85-88. I think that her name was Leah Jenkins or something like that. Too long ago to remember and too many things cloud the memory from that time. What a story about the sow pulling your buck from the river that is too good. I could just imagine her thoughts.
My son is 10 this year. He is finally old enough that I am comfortable starting to hunt with him on some of the great country that we have out here to hunt. I had this one wonder right into our area in Park city this last year.

Frantz
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 01:47:16 pm »
now that pretty bear.  Kodiak has the largest in the world but they are never as pretty as a inland grizzly.  Good luck with your son.  Teach them how to hunt now and you wont have to hunt for them later

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 10:08:20 pm »
What kinds of bears do you have up there?  We just have black bears here, and they are very timid and don't get into tangles with humans unless the person stumbles upon and startles it.  Otherwise as long as they know you're there, they'll back off (which is likely why your guide was making all the racket), even if you do smell like honey.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 08:43:19 am »
What kinds of bears do you have up there? 

If you mean Michigan/Ontario its all black bears.  If you mean Kodiak its all coastal grizzlies

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 09:08:03 am »
Ok, so you were in black bear country when it happened... Just wondering if you were concerned about grizzlies, which wouldn't want to smell like food around, reguardless of whether they were startled by my presence or not.

anything